DVD Burners: which one?

Pepse

aRTee, yeah, that is the nice thing about the computer/electronics world; expensive as hell today and tomorrow they just might beg you to buy it, cheap. :cheesy: . And one reason they would be selling it cheap is because somebody probably has a "newer and more improved" item. And I don't know why I didn't think at first about firmware upgrading that for Linux it would more than likely be a third party patch. And more than likely I will go with NEC or Lite-On. As for the companies I e-mailed recently about firmware upgrading only Lite-On e-mailed me back in less than a week after I e-mailed them. And then when I mentioned about staying with Linux they replied that all I need to do is put the DVD burner in a windoze computer and update the firmware and then put it back in my Linux computer and go. That is why I put Lite-On as a second choice. They at least are very good with answering their e-mails in a timely manner. Oh, I emailed HP, Lite-On, Advance Micro and BenQ.

As for the different standards I agree that it is good for us as there is competition between the companies and that helps with the price. Funny thing tho, I remember awhile back when the various companies had their ideas as to what should be the format of choice it was said that there should be just one standard. So, I was surprised to see more than one. Somebody had enough brains, I guess, to see that what we have is good for us. And yes when I do purchase one it will be the dual standard +-r & +-rw.

Later. Pepse.

Hey, good that you emailed them!

More Linux users should do that.

Whichever drive you buy, it may help if you also let the other brands know that you didn't choose their drive for reasons of Linux unfriendlyness.

I mean, it's one thing to not support Linux, but it's another to have firmware updates that can only be used under windows - instead of using the tried and true method of DOS bootfloppy updating.

Actually, I have done just that when I bought my Epson scanner, I emailed them to thank them for making drivers possible (they don't mention Linux on the box, but at least their hardware works great with Linux), and I got a nice response. And I emailed the competitor Canon, to tell them they lost a sale. Well, no response on that one,.... :D

On the 'one standard' point of the companies: sure, they want one standard only: theirs.

Don't forget, those who's standard gets 'chosen' (in whatever way, by the market, by the producers, whatever) are the ones who will be collecting royalties.

For video-dvd players, it's 5 dollars or 5% of the end price (whichever is more) that they have to pay to the dvd-forum; then each disc brings in money. Same for dvd-, dvd+, etc..

Luckily there were 2 camps with dvd (re)writable technology (well 3 really, but I'm just not counting dvd-ram), and luckily there are 2 camps for the next generation of optical disc technology: bluray and hd-dvd.

I say: "Game on!"

Whichever you buy, enjoy your burner!

• 11 months later...

Just for the record, I brought 2 x "philips pbdv1640g" for my 733 Linux box 7 months ago and they have both gone to the wall. I have not used them nearly as much as i thought i would, maybe 10 burns each & a couple hundred reads, as it's mainly a networking box. The first went 2 weeks ago and the last went this morning while reading a dvd and I could actually smell fried lectrics. Whats my point?

Answers on a postcard please to: support@philips.com

The company sent me a replacement for the previous one (philips pbdv1628g... sheesh, I'll have to sell them to a windows user!).

Next time... the pointy hat in the corner is getting a bit tatty, i'm gonna look at the linux supported hardware list and this forum. Dont get Philips.

knoba

Dont get Philips.

Philips doesn't make DVD drives anymore- they are made by BenQ (formerly an Acer affiliate).

These days are no "good" or "bad" brands, just see the prices: 90% are in the $40-50 range, NEC are about 5$ more expensive, and Plextors are about 100$ dear.

The price says a lot: They are CHEAP drives- whatever that means!