A newbie's attempts with wine

Guest jscalbny

Guest jscalbny

I 'm fairly new with linux, but am learning quickly thanks in part to these forums. I have almost completely switched away from using XP in favor of Mandrakelinux 10.1. Unfortunately there are three pieces of software that I use regularly that I need to run and I understand they will all run with Wine, but I don't quite understand how to set it up.

I would like to know how to get these running if I can:

1) Quicken 2004 Basic

2) Endnote v7

3) Diablo II (all work and no play, after all :D )

I can get the install to run in the case of 1 and 3 (haven't tried #2 yet). Quicken installs and starts, but hangs frequently. Diablo II installs fine but won't run at all (it is a legit copy, not a crack).

I've tried the demo version of Crossover Office 4.1 as well, but have the same problems so don't see spending the money on it if it's not going to work. I gather it's just a layered install manager over Wine anyway, isn't it?

Does anyone have experience in getting any of these running properly? Even some pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Do you really need Quicken 2004 and Endnote? There are perfectly good replacements for both these programs. For Quicken use GnuCash (export your history from quicken, import in gnucash). For endnot there is http://www.pybliographer.org/

For Diablo 2: http://www.frankscorner.org/index.php?p=diablo2

For Quicken: I don't know about 2004 but earlier versions (I used 2002 DeLuxe before I switched to Gnucash) installed perfectly under wine. Perhaps you still have an earlier version? Or else you don't have much of a history build up in quicken and you should use gnucash :)

Guest jscalbny

I do have the latest version of wine 20050211 installed - I'm just not completely sure what to do with it. I've looked at the Wine HQ applications database and all three are reputed to run, but there are no specific instructions on configuration as far as I' can see. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

I did look at GnuCash, but wasn't too impressed - no budgeting, kind of awkward data entry, no payroll setup, etc. It's basically only a double entry ledger at this point. Are there any other linux personal finance packages out there?

Besides, I have eight years of financial data (upgraded Quicken several times)and would rather not have to go and reclassify everything.

Quicken installed and ran under Crossover Office fine, but just kept hanging especially when opening a browser window.

I'll have a look at pybliographer. Been using endnote for a couple of years. If I can transfer the biblios over that would be worth a try.

I'll give the instructions for Diablo a try, although I'm a little wary of instructions that need a hacked version of the game. I'll try it and see what happens.

So, in the interest of furthering my linux education - any suggestions on how to debug the problems with wine and crossover office and these applications?

Quicken installed and ran under Crossover Office fine, but just kept hanging especially when opening a browser window.

Hi,

did you think of filing a bug report (i.e. telling Codeweavers what's wrong)? If you bought Crossover Office you are entitled to X months of upgrades and they will probably fix it fast, if they are able to. Chances are that, if nobody reports it, Codeweavers will not know of the problem.

Darkelve