HOWTO Howto Remove Ximian from Mandrake 8.2

aru

Cloudane2k2

Posted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:43 pm Post subject: Howto Remove Ximian from Mandrake 8.2

Ximian is pretty stubborn, and once it's installed it's very difficult to remove as it installs special "ximian" versions of a great many packages and libraries that depend on each other. This should hopefully help anyone who wants to remove Ximian and replace it with the original GNOME 1.4 that came with Mandrake 8.2 (there are a few reasons why you might want to do this. Personally, I wanted rid of it the moment I installed it for various reasons) It wasn't easy but with the help of some other lists and Google I managed it... so I thought it might be useful to write a little guide.

Disclaimer: This is NOT a good way to remove software normally, it just happens to be the only technique I could find for removing the very stubborn Ximian. Although it worked for me, I make no guarantees... being a naturally abrupt method of software removal, it *could* seriously mess up your system. Therefore, you follow these steps at your own risk! You have been warned!

Here's how I did it:

(Pre-requisites: Your original Mandrake CDs and an hour or two to spare)

1) rpm -qa | grep ximian | lpr

(This should print out a hard copy list of all the packages that Ximian insisted on its own versions for)

2) rpm -qa | grep ximian | xargs rpm -e --nodeps

(This, again very messily, rips out everything that Ximian installed. Obviously, it will break GNOME temporarily)

3) Find your Mandrake CD and re-install libgtk+1.2 as the software

manager needs it and you just zapped it in step 2 (rpm -Uvh /mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/libgtk+1.2-1* with the correct CD in should do it)

4) run Software Manager by typing 'rpmdrake' as root from an xterm

(Ximian doesn't do the automatic "enter your root password for privelidges" thing you get in Mandrake normally, so you have to run it manually as root from the console)

5) Go down your printed list and reinstall the normal Mandrake versions of each package... eg. audiofile, bonobo, bug-buddy, eel, esound etc... ticking them off as you go along. It's easiest if you start with large packages such as nautilus and gnome-utils as they have lots of dependencies... that way it will automatically install large chunks of your list at the same time. (Make sure you've only got the Mandrake CDs ticked as the source locations, as you presumably wouldn't want it downloading all the cooker versions)

6) move or remove ~/.gnome*, log out and log back in. Set up your preferences again.

7) AFTER this, do the control-center stuff to get sound working if necessary.

That should do it if anyone else wants rid of Ximian.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).