Is there any GREAT graphics programs for Linux?

brkville42NY

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use layers, put background on a diff layer, erase on that layer.

it works like this:

People coming from Photoshop to the Gimp dont like it and often complain about the ui.

People coming from the Gimp to Photoshop dont like it and often complain about the ui.

im one of the latter, and after using Gimp and Inkscape extensively. Photoshop and Illustrator feel awkward, and have a terrible UI.

As for complaints about the gimp UI. if you havnt got gimp 2.0, dont bitch, it improved it substantially. secondly, tab all your dialogs together under the tools and it's awesome to use.

iphitus

• 2 weeks later...

I think what puts a lot of 'shoppers off GIMP initially is, as Sean says, the UI differences. For me it's having it spread across three or more windows that grates, because with my 'generous' quantities of RAM and short attention-span I tend to have other programs going at the same time. So, the Taskbar tends to get very crowded, and also you can't blur/refocus the whole workspace with a single click or Alt-Tab.

I mean differences in where certain commands are, what keys do what etc. are not to be harped about in my book, but usability-killers like the above seem needless. I'd hope sooner or later they will make all windows dockable, while still permitting the current 'floating in space' layout to be used for those who prefer it.

Guest Adriano1

I haven't had any trouble with the three windows GIMP normally opens (even for GIMP on Windows): one for the tools, one for the layers and brushes, one for the image (lots of tabs on the first two, yes). Which version of gimp are you using?

Here's a great link for anyone fed up with the GIMP's UI:

http://plasticbugs.com/index.php?p=241

Steve Moschella, of Plastic Bugs, has taken the core GIMP and reworked the UI so that it looks much more like a conventional application (in this case, Photoshop). A RPM is available too at codemills.com, although I haven't had a chance to download and test it on MDK 10.0 yet.

Edit: On the codemills blog, Brent Shellenberg says "The RPM installed just fine in Mandrake 10.1 (powerpack). No dependency issues at all. Cool." But remember, your mileage may vary...

Edit 2: The RPM has been taken down due to bandwidth issues. It is apparently available on bitTorrent though.

Edited by sellis

Here's a great link for anyone fed up with the GIMP's UI:

Steve Moschella, of Plastic Bugs, has taken the core GIMP and reworked the UI so that it looks much more like a conventional application (in this case, Photoshop).

Gimp does look like a conventional application, and works like any other linux application.

Photoshop uses MDI which allows multiple windows within itself. GTK however, and for good reason does not provide mdi. It is not GTK's task to manage these extra little windows for each program, its the window manager, hence a new window for each image opened.

for example, I prefer to switch between seperate sessions of abiword, rather than having to use hte documents menu within word. word uses mdi, multiple document interface, while abiword uses sdi, single document interface. sdi makes more sense to me.

Isnt it funny how its always the ex Photoshop and PSP users are the ones bagging gimp's improved UI?

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

Isnt it funny how its always the ex Photoshop and PSP users are the ones bagging gimp's improved UI?

I recently installed version 2.0, and it's a big improvement over 1.x. However, I am still a fan of the docking windows/mdi paradigm. It allows me to organize my work area consistenly for that program, so that new windows don't overlap my tool pallettes, and so forth. I'm not a heavy user of GIMP, so I expect someone to pop up at any moment and say "Wait! Of course you can do that!".

I recently installed version 2.0, and it's a big improvement over 1.x. However, I am still a fan of the docking windows/mdi paradigm. It allows me to organize my work area consistenly for that program, so that new windows don't overlap my tool pallettes, and so forth. I'm not a heavy user of GIMP, so I expect someone to pop up at any moment and say "Wait! Of course you can do that!".

What you said :)