Is there any GREAT graphics programs for Linux?

brkville42NY

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another cool thing about the Gimp is that is available for Windows and OS X as well, so no matter what platform you're on, you can always have a familiar piece of software to work with.

I think it must be mentioned that it is a little more difficult to learn than Photoshop, but IMHO a lot more satisfying (and even more useful) when you do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes, another vote for the gimp here,

Although , when you are familiar with photoshop's "layer styles" aka blending options, you won't find them on gimp.

And you can't make the same kind of brushes as in Photoshop, but i'm sure they'll fix that in some other version ;)

I think it must be mentioned that it is a little more difficult to learn than Photoshop, but IMHO a lot more satisfying (and even more useful) when you do.

I have to disagree with the first part of this. I'm reasonably proficiant at both Photoshop and the gimp, and I'm self taught with both. I didn't think that the GIMP was realy any harder to learn than Photoshop.

It's certainly different, but personaly, I think it's just as user friendly as anything else. I do agree about it being satisfying and maybe more useful though.

I didn't think that the GIMP was realy any harder to learn than Photoshop.

OK, I'll open this up into a proper religious debate...

The GIMP's user interface is unutterably dreadful.

No, not because it's inherently awful - if you did nothing but use the GIMP all day, you'd adjust quickly and you'd be fine. But the trouble is that everything is different from every other applicaion, for no good reason that I can see.

I use it occasionally, and although I don't expect to remember exactly where the "cubism" filter is, I certainly shouldn't have to re-learn where the "save" command is every time. On all other programs I use, it's in File > Save or Save as... I can access it via the keyboard as Alt-F S or Alt-F A. On the GIMP, it's in the right-click menu, and this confuses me every time.

Again, you may say, "you will get used to it". My reply is "Why should I have to?"

Jacob Nielsen, web usability guru, sums it nicely in this page: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/991114.html. He's talking about webpages, but the following quote applies to applications too:

If 80% or more of the big sites do things in a single way, then this is the de-facto standard and you have to comply. Only deviate from a design standard if your alternative design has at least 100% higher measured usability. [...] The fact is, no website is seen in isolation: users come to your site expecting things to work the same way they are already used to.

The GIMP is a superb program, but in my opinion its power is much less accessible because its user interface sucks.

Right-o, let the flamewar commence...