Diamond Supra 56e Modem Problem

Art

HI:

i just bought this Diamond Supra 56e External SERIAL modem, it connects but does not complete connection, it logs off after some time with timedout pppd. What is the solution. Here are teh particulars.

ATZ

OK

AT&F1

OK

ATM1L1

OK

ATDT5643478

CONNECT 38400

LOgging on to Network (bottom pane PPPD)

response after awhile Timed out of PPPd look for details.

Query Modem yields the following

I: 56000

AT 1: 255

AT 2: --------

AT3: SupraExpress 56e V.92

AT4: r511111510120000 r30000111117000000

ATI 5: B5

ATI 6: B5 US 011

ATI 7: V56DPF-PLL L85771A Rev 3003

Hope some one can help me get on the internet through Linux.

Thanks all

Art

Ok, let's try this to get a better idea. In the file, you'll see

#debug

on or about line 166. Uncomment it, by removing the # like this:

debug

You'll have to edit the file as root. Then try to connect. If you are using kppp, you should be able to see all the debug messages by clicking 'Show log window'. If not, you can see the errors later in /var/log/messages (I think)....or maybe /var/log/syslog. Should give you much more verbose messages so we can troubleshoot better.

Actually, before you do this, if you are using kppp, try checking or unchecking 'Use lock file'.

Hi:

I tried Lock File /Unlock file etc No use. I followed Trouble shooting guide from KPPP handbook also No use.

Here is what I get from /var/log/syslog, dmesg, messages etc

Kernel; PPP Generic driver Version 2.4.2

pppd[3883]: ppp 2.4.2 started by root , userid 0

pppd[3883]: Terminating on Signal 15

pppd[3883]:: Exit

man pppd:

EXIT STATUS
      The exit status of pppd is  set  to  indicate  whether  any  error  was
      detected, or the reason for the link being terminated.  The values used
      are:

<<snip>>

16     The link was terminated by the modem hanging up.

With the debug turned on, you don't get any other information in those files?

This is all the information that there is even with debug on, Googling I found that lot of people have come across this problem with this particular Modem, It seems to work fine on WinXP has seven 8 LEDS, only LEDs that dont light up on Linux are SD & RD if this helps, I will try reading man pppd and see what I can do about this. I was trying to even use ndiswrapper just incase I can use WinXP drivers, I get a message stsating driver installed hardware installed, but never get to using those drivers even after doing ndiswrapper -m or modrprobe ndiswrapper. I really did not know that Modems would be a great hinderence in using Linux productively. The damn WinXP wont let me see Linux Partition unlike Linux seeing WinXP's. I am confident that I will get this modem working with Linux just have to keep working on this.

Thanks for your help. Let me dig more info if of any use.

Art

I hope you don't think I was taking a dig at you. :D You're doing great...just that I was hoping there would be more info with debug turned on. The fact that it is a serial modem means that it should work.

There's a script that may be of some use. I posted a link to it in another thread. Let me find it.

Steve Thanks much:

I did try out the script adapted it to Diamond Supra 56e modem, Infact I have aUSR 5610 56k WinMODEM also on the computer whose IRQ is 5 and device ID is 12b9:1006.

But, I cannot find Diamond Supra 56e SERIAL modem via lspci also in Harddrake this is not listed, but modem query does list the modem data, and it dials out. Should I be looking for info on Serial interface.

I tried wvdial same case there also, the dialing stops after a while. I have to do CTRL-C to cut it out of the konsole. And I get this message encountered SIGNAL 2 attempting to exit gracefully.

I am wondering how a Serial modem would be listed in lspci.? I am sure I will crack this one as well, This is how its been with me with tough things in the end they have always worked, Thanks for your help

Art

I have the exact same problem. I have an External Serial Modem and a internal WinModem connected in the same machine. Whenever I run Kppp from the terminal I am also getting 'Terminating on Signal 15' and from the terminal 'Interface PPP0 not found'. I was going to try to remove the internal modem but then my harddisk crashed.

I have the exact same problem. I have an External Serial Modem and a internal WinModem connected in the same machine. Whenever I run Kppp from the terminal I am also getting 'Terminating on Signal 15' and from the terminal 'Interface PPP0 not found'. I was going to try to remove the internal modem but then my harddisk crashed.

Really, I willl remove that less useful USR 5610 WinModem, and let you know what happens.

Here is what I get When I entered teh code used in WinXP for communication on this modem using wvdial

1. ATZ

2. AT&F0V1S0 = 0&C1&D2 + MR=2; DR =1; +ER =1

3. ATST = 60S30 = 0L1M0 +ES=3,0,2; +DS=3; +IFC=2,2; BX4

4. SEND -ATDT

ATS0 =0

This is the response from wvdial

Mutex destroy failure

ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid 4280 error =2

+MCR : V92

+MRR : 33600

+ER : LAPM

CONNECT : 57600

-> Carrier detected -strating pppd immedeatley

-> pid for ppp 4287

If this makes any sense please explain to me.