urpmi database locked

condorito

What does that mean?

snapshot2.png

I added contrib and plf-free. Previously I had re-initialized the media data base as sugested on the easy-urpmi page. Then I got urpmi database locked thing. What is it? Why don't contrib and plf-free show up on rpmdrake? Maybe it's not supposed to show up, I don't know. Did it work? How do I know it worked?

Thanks.

You can't add new sources if the lock is on. A reboot wil remove it and you can then add your new sources.

Should that not work, you can remove the .lock file manuallly from /var/lib

All right! I'll reboot now. Anyway, what is the lock for? To me it only seems to be an annoyance, but that's because I am still too Windowfied.

:drum:

I rebooted, and I must say I managed to update rpmdrake with contrib before I rebooted, how? No Idea!After reboot, I opened rpmdrake, but I could not update it with plf-free. I went looking for those .lock files but they weren't there. What's next?

post-1634-1108773713_thumb.jpg

As I understand it urpmi is locked while it is performing a function. This prevents an attempt to start another urpmi function at the same time. All that is necessary is to close urpmi completely and then you can start urpmi again. I have never found it necessary to reboot to do this. On rare occasions, at the most, I have only found it necessary to re-login.

I have never had to reboot.

Cheers. John.

Yes, that reads as it should so all is OK.

BTW, instead of taking a snapshot of the consol, uploading it to your web space etc, you can simply high light the consol text with your mouse, and the copy paste in your posts here using the "code" tabs above.

I'm getting the same problem whenever I try to urpmi something (for instance I needed a file tried to urpmi it and I got the "urpmi database locked" message. Rebooting did nothing, removing the .LOCK file didn't work. Its interesting because I had nothing else urpmied at the time (nor nothing new since I logged in). How do I fix this?

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting the same problem whenever I try to urpmi something (for instance I needed a file tried to urpmi it and I got the "urpmi database locked" message.  Rebooting did nothing, removing the .LOCK file didn't work.  Its interesting because I had nothing else urpmied at the time (nor nothing new since I logged in).  How do I fix this?

http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/UsingUrpmi

it is a large page and you will need to scroll most of the way down to get to the troubleshooting bit.

hope this helps (it helped me with my lock file problem).

regards

reb

Edited by reb2

There's three lock files to remove to be sure neither urpmi nor rpm will be locked any more. One in /var/lib/rpm (I think it's called RPMLOCK or LOCK or .LOCK) and two in /var/lib/urpmi , which are called .LOCK and .RPMLOCK I think. If you delete all of these and it's still locked, erm, you're in trouble :)

aussiejohn was exactly right about why locking happens. urpmi and rpm have a big database of packages and dependencies which is used to check and enforce the dependencies between packages. If you ran two urpmi or rpm operations that needed to write to this database at once, it could get broken by a conflict between the two operations, and that would not be good. So LOCK files are used to make sure you can't run two urpmi operations together. If you're wondering why it occasionally seems locked even after a reboot or if you know there's no other running urpmi process, if urpmi ever crashes or hangs or you cancel an urpmi operation with ctrl-C because you realised you didn't really want to do it, the LOCK file can be left hanging around, causing urpmi to think it's locked forever until you manually remove it.

Edited by adamw