Grub or LILO

tyme

Which one do you use?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you use?

• Grub
    • LILO
    • Other (explain)

Following up on polemicz's post here, I think this would be a good discussion to have. Please, if you have reasons, let us know what they are :) This is meant to be a poll -and- a discussion.

I was a LILO user for a long time, but I've recently switched to Grub. I've found Grub to be much more powerful. One issue I had with LILO is, if I changed an entry and it wouldn't boot, I'd have to get a livecd and mount stuff, then rewrite LILO to the drive. Grub, on the other hand, allows me to edit entries on-the-fly, and boot them. It doesn't save the modifications but atleast I can get into the system again to correct the entry. Editing entries on-the-fly is probably the biggest reason that I use grub.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grub

for the same reasons as tymark stated...AND it has never corrupted the mbr like lilo has many times, the best distros use it as their default, and partition magic refers it being compat with it long b4 lilo. There's good reasons for this....it rocks!

Edited by bvc

lilo

cause grub dont do reiser4

iphitus

Could we stop spreading this misconception? I told you a couple of weeks ago it wasn't true. If the distro of choice has properly patched grub and reiser4, it works. Here's just 2 links of who knows how many...

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Reiser4FShowto

http://pclinuxonline.com/article.php?thold...rder=0&sid=9242

I hardly think reiser4 and grub as an option would be possible, if what you say is true ;)

now, go use grub ;)

Edited by bvc

lilo

cause grub dont do reiser4

iphitus

Could we stop spreading this misconception? I told you a couple of weeks ago it wasn't true. If the distro of choice has properly patched grub and reiser4, it works. Here's just 2 links of who knows how many...

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/Reiser4FShowto

http://pclinuxonline.com/article.php?thold...rder=0&sid=9242

I hardly think reiser4 and grub as an option would be possible, if what you say is true ;)

now, go use grub ;)

I can tell you one thing, when i tried it it didnt work. I used the arch package build and did it myself, grub was unable to identify the reiser4 filesystem.

It didnt work for me, thats not to say it doesnt work for everyone else.

iphitus.

I see the both as being good at what they do. I prefer using Lilo though, just because I have always used it, it has never messed anything up and I've never been in the position where I'd need to make changes on-the-fly.

Arguing that one is better than the other is pointless, it's pure preference.

Arguing that one is better than the other is pointless, it's pure preference.

hence the reason the poll asks "which do you use" not "which is better?" ;)

I always used lilo but I just never got into grub.

I like some of the features but I have no idea how to use it and so it just sits there....

grub isn't hard at all. i didn't use it for the longest time for this exact same reason, but one day when I tried out ubuntu I was stuck with it and had to add to it to get arch booted, which required a little playing around (since I was new to grub). that's when i found grubs on-the-fly editing abilities to be very handy. but as SoulSe, it's pure preference - whatever does the job that you need it to do.

Yeah, Ive been really impressed the way the live edting is used on the kanotix live CD. You can select resolutions, language etc. all on the fly and in a OO way not like lilo where each option would need its own entry...

I just never got forced into using it... even when its been installed Ive overwritten it with lilo when I wanted a second distro to boot... just because its easier than looking for the documentaiton ... I guess my own lazyness...

now i think I wanna start but Im still to damned lazy!