HOWTO Upgrade your packages: DON'T use Cooker but ...

aru

JeroenM

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 4:41 pm Post subject: Upgrade your packages: DON'T use Cooker but ...

People frequently add Cooker to RpmDrake and get into trouble.

Therefore this How(not)to.

It was posted at MdkForum as below. Check out the link if you also want to read the comments.

Using Packages From Cooker

Posted by tom on Wednesday, July 17 @ 17:00:00 PDT World Packages

(Contributed by Tsoots)

Mandrake Linux user Tsoots has a gruesome tale to tell:

I've just installed mandrake 8.2 through a network installation. After an installation I Thought I could do a little update for those apps I use most. So I started rpmdrake and added a cooker source to the list and then did a search for xchat (that I'm using a lot). I checked xchat and pressed install/remove button. This is where the strange things started to happen.

After a little while I got "Packages dependencies informations" window saying that in order to get everything working well I would also need to install some additional packages. That list is endless (well almost). It includes just to mention some packages: MySQL, MySQL-client, drakxtools, gimp, libgtk+, libintl2, perl, popt, rpm-build, urpmi, vim-x11.

Well I'm a newbie with linux and mandrake but can understand that there can't be everything right there. I'm just trying to update xchat 1.8.7 to 1.8.9.

In order to get my xchat updated I press "next" button in "Packages dependencies informations" window and rpmdrake goes to "Packages installation" window. After a little while there comes pop up dialog box saying that (I've picked couple of lines from that dialog box):

perl <>=S5.601 is needed by gimp-perl-1.2.3-11mdk

perl-base <>=S 5.600-29mdk is needed by perl-gettext-1.0-10mdk

librpmio-4.0.3.so <>=S is needed by kdeadmin-2.2.2-12mdk

... there are 24 lines on that dialog box.

I tried to update some other apps too but get same type of messages. And always there is this perl-base that must be updated from version 5.601-7mdk to 5.8.0-0.17412. But then during the installation i got that error dialog box saying that perl-base 5.600 is needed by some packages. And if I choose to try update perl-base package in rpmdrake I'll get "Errors found" window saying that "Packages already installed: perl-base-5.8.0-0.17412.5mdk".

Well that's about all. So my problem is that I can't update almost everythingsystem and I'm hoping someone else may have had same kinds of problems before and could help me to solve these out or maybe someone could tell me what to do in order to get my system work properly. Well after all these may be just some newbie problems that have nothing to do with system working properly.

---

tom: The Cooker page features a prominent warning:

WARNING!

Cooker is an experimental distribution, it's not for daily use!

Cooker's primary task is *not* to provide updated packages for the stable release, it is developing the next stable release.

There usually is a certain period after a stable release where you can use Cooker packages on a stable release (although that isn't endorsed or supported by Mandrakesoft, either) but once the development picks up steam again, Cooker is a distribution of its own, i.e. dependencies are resolved against the package versions in Cooker, not against the versions in the stable release.

The only officially supported updates are available via MandrakeUpdate and of course as stable releases every six months or so.

If you just got to have a newer version of a program included in a stable release, you have several possibilities:

* Look in 8.2 unsupported which contains unsupported updates provided by Mandrake Linux package maintainers.

* Check out Texstar's 8.2 RPMS. You'll see that this directory contains an xchat-1.8.9 RPM. You should have no trouble installing this package.

* Get the RPM from the project's home page.

Mandrakesoft does not have the resources to maintain a Debian-like 'unstable' distribution, but then again they release stable versions more often than every two years Wink .

gollum

Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:43 pm Post subject:

Using Mandrake 8.2, I've seen what I believe is a bug in rpmdrake (Software Manager, Mandrake Update). When adding e.g. a cooker mirror to the list of sources, rpmdrake will try to update packages that are in the cooker mirror even when that's unnecessary.

For example, I may try to install version 0.9.2 of package X, which depends on version 1.0 or later of package Y. Now I already have at least version 1.0 of Y installed, but on the cooker site, version 1.4 is present. In this situation, rpmdrake will tell me that package Y version 1.4 is required, and install that unless I abort the installation. Mad Not very fun when this results in a load of GNOME or KDE dependencies...

So, when using cooker RPMs, I rather download them to my harddisk, run rpmdrake, and then download the missing libraries when needed.

Editor's note: This thread was originally posted at the old MUB (Mandrake User Board at club-nihil). This post is the result of a 99% automatic backup, so due to its nature some text may be lost (improbable but possible).