Can't remove Samba mountpoint

NelsonN

I created a Samba mountpoiunt thru the MCC, but noticed that I could not write to the Windows XP share and, also, this mountpoint hangs when I am booting up Mandrake 10.1 Official.

I want to get rid off it, but I can't. MCC will not complete the unmount even though I notice it's no longer listed as mounted.

It shows up on my desktop as a "Remote Share."

Any help appreciated.

I re-mounted it again, and then unmounted it by unchecking the checkboxes that were checked when it was mounted (this removed it from the desktop. I then edited fstab (I removed the entry). Finally, I deleted the directory created for it in /mnt/

Seems to work as it no longer appears when I boot.

This may have nothing to do with your situation, but you don't need Samba to see a windows partition on your system (if dual booting). Use it to see other computers on your network. What is relevant to accessing your Windows partitions is whether they are NTFS or Fat32. Linux will read NTFS, but not write to it (at least not well). It's usually a good idea to have your Windows partitions for sharing as Fat32.

Also for configuring Samba shares use Swat via localhost:901.

I created a Samba mountpoiunt thru the MCC, but noticed that I could not write to the Windows XP share

actually, you dont need to statically mount that share... you can use LinNeighborhood to browse for your windowze LAN pc and might be able to write to a windows XP shared folder even if its ntfs as long as you log on to that from your linux box using the username and passwd on ur XP that has a read,write or full access....

actually, you dont need to statically mount that share... you can use LinNeighborhood to browse for your windowze LAN pc

Your correct, I did this yesterday after my last post. I came across a forum mentioning LinNeighborhood, I had totally forgotten about it. Mandrake does not include it in the CDs I downloaded, I had to add a main source and there it was. I used to use LinNeighborhood in Mandrak 9.2.

Smb4K is buggy as all hell, why did Mandrake package this for Mandrake 10? Instead of LinNeighborhood? It is so much better.