I cant get my new TFT monitor to work?

_Qwerty_

Hello!

I have used mandrake for about one or two years, and now i have bought a new TFT monitor an LG Flatron lcd 782LS 17", and before i have used my Compaq MV700 17" crt.

My first try was to just switch cables to the new monitor from within KDE, then i got an message on the new monitor "input signal out of range"

I started to read the manual for the new monitor and noted the vertical and horizontal frequensis that it may use.

Then i tried do a cold boot with the new monitor connected, and it worked fine in text mode, but when i write "startx" on the commandline to start X-windows, then the monitor gets all black!

I tried to hit ctrl-alt-F2 to get a console, and then i tried diffrent settings in XFdrake, ie "generic flat monitor", "generic 1280x1024" and "custom", in custom i used the refresh rates the new TFT monitor is rated to handle, but none of the diffrent settings i tried made the new monitor work for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

btw i am using mdk 9.0 and kde

Check the Mandrake Hardware Database here and the Linux Hardware Database and see if your brand of monitor is supported: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3 and http://lhd.zdnet.com . Note that I could not get the Linux with a not found error so itmay have been moved or ceased to exist. You could also check the manufacturer's site for any Linux information.

Counterspy

Just boot to text mode, edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (make a backup copy just in case) with a text editor such as vi, pico or nano, and adjust the horizontal and vertical frequencies to comply with your new monitor.

I'm guessing that your setup for the old monitor has 85Hz or so, just put the vertical max rate at 75 and you should be ok.

Save the file and try startx.

I tried and tried with no success, but as a last resort before i was about to return the TFT monitor i tried with the newer agp card i had in my other computer, an Geforce2 GTS 32 MB card and then it worked at once. so it seems that the new monitor dident liked my old ATI rage pro 8 MB card.

I am happy that i got the monitor working at last :D