Printing to an Epson CX4600 with Samba

nchancock

SUCCESS! :headbang:

After many days of hard work and a couple of chicken sacrifices to the Pantheon of Hardware Gods, I managed to get it to work.

Here's my setup:

1 Laptop running Mandrake 10.1, Samba and CUPS

1 Desktop PC running Winblow$ XP

1 Epson CX4600 connected to the Desktop PC

1 D-Link Wireless Router for networking

So, I got the Samba set up so that the Windows box saw the Laptop and vice-versa. I could transfer files, send messages, and all of that. I could not, however, print to my nice new printer.

I researched around and found how to set up CUPS to print to a samba printer. That went OK, but CUPS didn't have a driver for the EPSON CX 4600. Bummer.

Googling, I found that the EPSON CX3200 driver was supposed to work just fine, so I set CUPS to use that one. Every time I sent a test page from the laptop, though, it came out as a full page of solid balck. Not friendly to my pocketbook if you know what I mean.

I tried setting CUPS to print with the RAW driver, but then all I got was a page full of postscript mumbo-jumbo, so that wasn't the way to go.

Then I stumbled upon the solution. I figured that if the Linux CX3200 drivers worked for the CX4600, then the Windows CX3200 driver might be the way to go. I set up a new printer in XP using the CX3200 drivers and then set CUPS to print to the new printer share.

Prints like a dream now. It's probably not impressive to all you Linux gurus, but for a noob like myself, it was a pretty big victory. :)

Well, that's my story, I hope it can help someone else having a similar problem out.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

Thanks for your reply! B)

My impression is that sometimes, the most valuable help for newbies comes from other newbies.

After many days of hard work and a couple of chicken sacrifices to the Pantheon of Hardware Gods, I managed to get it to work.

Hmm... seems like I'll have to update my article "Troubleshooting your (Linux) Hardware" now :lol:

Thanks, its good to know that I'm giving something back to the site. I have gotten SO much help from here, and not just from posting questions. I would probably have gone back to the Darkside on several occasions if not for you guys.

:thanks: