Nvidia problems with 10.2beta2

darkstar

:evilmod: I've installed 10.2 beta2 and tried to use my nvidia fx5500, running the uda from invidia (6629). altough kernel source was installed, the installer complains about missing kernel modules for nvida and tries to download from nvdidia repository.

It then installs the module and configures it to be used with the kernel.

The result is that nvidia driver is in use and also nvidia-settings work.

However the performance observed is less dramatic (using gl-117 to verify) that it is on my other installed ditribution (SuSE 9.2).

Can anyone tell me how to fine tune it?

Thanks

[formatted by spinynorman]

You can start by running nvidia-settiings from the command line. That will bring up the NVidia Driver Configuration app.

:help: I ran nvidia-settings, indeed. However the performance is slightly better tham my previous card (matrox G400)...

Over that, same drivers installed onto the other ditribution (Suse 9.2) work a lot lot better...

I'd like to know If I need to edit xorg.conf, manually, and what kind of fine tuning should I apply....

I am not aware of any performance tweaks you can make to XF86Config4, but I have only been running Mandrake a few months. Perhaps someone else here has a suggestion?

There is another software application you can download called Yanc, but I'm not sure it offers anything beyond what you see in nvidia-settiings

i do trust that you edited the xf86config file the way it's supposed to be. under the modules heading you need to load "Glx" and remove "dricore". further you need to change the nvidia driver to nvidia from nv.

i do trust that you edited the xf86config file the way it's supposed to be.  under the modules heading you need to load "Glx" and remove "dricore".  further you need to change the nvidia driver to nvidia from nv.

I did acutally follow suggestions from the README file. It is most likely a kernell issue, compared to the standard SUSE9.2 kernel, which makes this module integration not only faster but smoother (no complains from the installer).

What a heck! I am running 10.2 beta 2, chances are that some bugs are acffecting the overall performance, anyways.

Thanks!

No, that shouldn't be the case, it should work in the same ballpark as it does on SuSE. Please check that the nvidia module is loaded, and you have the correct settings in xorg.conf as mentioned above (load glx, do not load dri). You may also need to check the AGP mode settings, see the nvidia documentation. Would it be possible to compare the xorg.conf files from MDK and SuSE to see if there's anything different? That may give you a hint.

And BTW, the installer messages are nothing to do with SuSE or MDK, it's entirely up to nvidia. Basically, the driver comes with several pre-built modules for various common distro kernels; nvidia build these themselves and put them into the driver package, it;s not in the control of the vendors. There's one in the driver for SuSE 9.2 (and one for MDK 10.1, for that matter) so when running those distros, you don't see that message, it goes right ahead and installs the pre-built module. There isn't one for 10.2b2 (it'd be a waste of time for nvidia to be pre-rolling modules for short-lived beta releases), so you get the message, and the install program rebuilds the module against your installed kernel-source. It doesn't imply anything about the quality of SuSE or MDK. Once MDK 10.2 comes out, the next release of the nvidia driver after that will almost certainly include a prebuilt module for its kernel.

Edited by adamw