Mobo delays startup

Gowator

I have a friend with an old computer of mine.

Its an old shuttle and had power problems for a while until I changed the CPU.

Now when its switched on it waits an indeterminate length of time before actually starting. No fans, etc. it just sits there ... plugging in a usb stick shopws the USB is powered up for instance and sometimes just removing it will cause it to actually start... however the delay is independent of this usually and its not normally plugged in it was just curiosity.

The mobo seems to also loose the bios setting on init AGP slot first and falls back to PCI .. not even the built in graphics card....

This means taking out the graphics card, rebooting with the dip switch on reset and then putting the AGP card back.

This is all very frustrating... it makes working on it a pain, it can take 5-10 mins to actually start to boot. Once its booted its fine... no shutdowns/lockups etc. but mostly it means messing with bios settings can quickly loose an hour or so...

ideas????

I have to clear CMOS every time it looses the settings...

The PSU is built in... its a tiny thing but adequate...

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/DesktopDefault.as...205_read-10289/

(SK41G)

Unfortunately the only other PSU's are in France and my friend is in the UK!

Im wondering about the CMOS battery? but yep it does sound like a PSU prob or possibly the powergood line on the PSU?

Well, the CMOS battery is a possibility, and it would (presumably) be inexpensive to replace.

I got a network timeout when I tried your link, but from your response it sounds like you are dealing with a SFF box. I have been intrigued with this type of hardware lately....Is most of the hardware proprietary?

I'd guess the psu but other than that, how about reseating the heatsink. I upgraded my heatsink/fan last night and stupid me had it reversed...I know ..duh! but believe me it wasn't obvious. I had similar and other weird things happen for the first 5 or so tries b4 I realized the heatsink wasn't seated right. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ellipse
I have a friend with an old computer of mine. 

Its an old shuttle and had power problems for a while until I changed the CPU. 

Now when its switched on it waits an indeterminate length of time before actually starting.  No fans, etc. it just sits there ...  plugging in a usb stick shopws the USB is powered up for instance and sometimes just removing it will cause it to actually start... however the delay is independent of this usually and its not normally plugged in it was just curiosity. 

The mobo seems to also loose the bios setting on init AGP slot first and falls back to PCI .. not even the built in graphics card.... 

This means taking out the graphics card, rebooting with the dip switch on reset and then putting the AGP card back. 

This is all very frustrating... it makes working on it a pain, it can take 5-10 mins to actually start to boot.  Once its booted its fine...  no shutdowns/lockups etc.  but mostly it means messing with bios settings can quickly loose an hour or so... 

ideas????

Same problem here with same box. I changed the CMOS battery but the problem persists. Not much to do I'm afraid, the SK41 is an old machine after all!

f.