Should root have his/her hands tied?

bvc

Poll: should root have his/her hand tied?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: should root have his/her hand tied?

• yes, serious security risk should be kept from root
    • no, root should be able to do anything, else root is not root

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

neither distro I use gives me a warning when I login as root for the first time and wouldn't matter if it did

warnings are one thing, restriction are another

That is of course after you "enable" the root acount on Ubuntu right?

:unsure: Have you sent Ubuntu Developers an e-mail telling them not to tie your hands and not allowing you to log in as root after install? :unsure:

:lol2: You got to give that one to me, that was some funny stuff........ :o

all you have to do is give root a password, which is something I change regularly anyway, so I don't see any relation here

next :drum:

JoeNoob doesn't know that and has to go to there site to be able to figure out how to get root.

Anyway, you apparently lost your funny bone getting all worked up about something that isn't even there so I'll leave it alone. :beer:

To be tied or not to be tied that is the question.

to restrain from independence or freedom of action or choice : constrain by or as if by authority, influence, agreement, or obligation

You got root? You got source? Your not tied?

Ping Pong, next up. :lol2:

Just in case anyone forgot

ph3Ar MY PH4$+ PiPE. I c4N HaX0r 1NT0 J00R 80xOR @+ +3h 5P3Ed OPH l19H+.

Remeber it is better to run as root then to use leet speak.

Still neither is a good idea :P

Edited by johnnyv

echo

you miss the point

when this is all said and done you will have to edit source and compile half your system to have the power of linux. Tha's not friendly, that's not, easy, that's not desktop, that's not marketing, that's the complete opposite of what linux needs to be concentrating on right now. The top of the stairs will have a locked door (M$). Screw source and compiling. I can't remember that last time I compiled anything other than an engine or alpha app.

echo

you miss the point

when this is all said and done you will have to edit source and compile half your system to have the power of linux. Tha's not friendly, that's not, easy, that's not desktop, that's not marketing, that's the complete opposite of what linux needs to be concentrating on right now. The top of the stairs will have a locked door (M$). Screw source and compiling. I can't remember that last time I compiled anything other than an engine or alpha app.

echo 'what is the real point then' ; export=Please state it clearly in one post

What is it they need to concentrate on?

Lack of security concern?

Home user? Not really. I don't beleive RedHat/Novell is concerned about selling a box'd version to userA

Enterprise Desktop? Between you, me and the fence post, there going to be locked down more than even userA being able to run gdesklets.

I have no idea were your going with this one............it's over.......admit........defeat.....for.....once........................ :unsure:

root should be all powerful, but the posts in this thread suggest that they answered the poll in a general way and really don't care that the developers of Application A stop root from running it without editing source.

It's simply a non-issue.

the poll, first post spell it out for ya

the results of the poll suggest root is a landslide winner

no defeat here :banana:

I never said root couldn't do anything, thats why I said over and over and over that you can grab/edit the source. Developers can do what they want with the original source and you can change/whatever since they were nice enough to open it. You keep arguing that they shouldn't do that yet you haven't gave a good reason why I can't write code, lock out root from executing it and giving you the code to change and do what you want, but my original design would to be lock out root.

Here is another :banana: for you. :cheesy: