Sound Card not being used

Art

Hi:

I am unable to play any Music Cd as my VIA882A sound crad is not recognized. When the initial desktop appears upon boot up I get a message stating /dev/dsp could not be created using null configuration, As a result none of teh CD players play any CD. Also. /dev is write protected for me to create a file called dsp. When I do troubleshooting with from HardDrake I get that a message from one of the tests that Sound Card is not being used. How can I fix it. the default sound card driver snd_VIA882

Thanks

Art

Hi:

The mixer is not there. In the system tray the Speaker Icon is crossed. When asked for details the message is that /dev/mixer does not exist, YOu Kernel might not have sound support. I tried as root, there are no files called /dev/dsp & /dev/mixer.

In the intial boot up, I get ALSA initiated, setting up Mixer.

/root/tmp/asound_tmp file/folder does not exist.

I installed Mandrake on another computer, it does not have this problem, although Mandrake 10 community the CD player does nothing much more than ask me to buy that software. I had to install xmms from the DVD to get CD audio working. Knoppix Live CD plays the CD from my DVD writer. I guess problem must have started as I had this main board VIA audio and Digigram PLX82 Sound card. I removed Digigram PLX sound card, and only using on baord audio. Do you recommend that I install it all over again?

Thanks

Art