installing applications hassle

Guest ismanpa

Guest ismanpa

Hello,

I am a devoted Linux fan, but I can't stand all the troubles with installing applications. The dependencies make me mad. Why don't the geeks make an installer offering to download dependencies as well, asking if we want to download them from CD or Internet? I recently tried to install YahooPOPS. In the readme file, three requirements were mentioned, ther last one being mimepp. The urpmi says: "no package named mimepp." Puzzle :( It also asked me where my openssl folder was. I think i gave all possible directories I located, but to no avail: installation was aborted.

This is only an example how difficult life is for a normal Linux user. :help:

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

I gotta agree... my frustrations with this ended when I discovered urpmi.

Now i use mainly debian but apt-get is my friend...I need a REALLY good reason to install something that isn't in urpmi or apt repositories.

sykpe has a new 1.00 version available would you like to ... nope not until there is a deb. When MDK was my main distro the same..(but urpmi)...

mimepp is probably in another package, you can use the 'search in files' to find it probably but like I say...I would stick with urpmi repositories unless you wanna sort out this stuff yourself .. I don't have a problem compiling my own stuff I just don't wanna chase down all the deps especially when someone else already has!

Problem is, there is no rpm in urpmi repositories for YahooPops. There's a mimepp header file in libkdepim2-devel:

root@laptop.mdk /home/omar 1442 08-Feb-05
> urpmf mimepp
libkdepim2-common-devel:/usr/include/mimelib/mimepp.h

but don't know if that will meet the requirements. Have you tried fetchyahoo? It's in contrib. Not as good as YahooPOP I don't think, but it does the job.

(Wow, that sounds rambling.)

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire