My weekend migration to Linux

pbpersson

Okay, this weekend I finally took the plunge. I moved all my stored email over to my Linux machine and now I am doing all my email and web surfing over here. I always said that where my email was, that's where I was living.

My Mandrake machine has the better motherboard, video card, processor, memory, and monitor. It also is directly connected to the color printer - the Windows machine will need to go through the Linux machine if it wants to print anything.

So, that was my big weekend project. I even installed Yahoo Messenger on Linux without a problem!

:banana:

Phil

Nice one! Now all you need to do is clean Windoze off your other machine so you can use it to try out new distros ;)

lol... I recommend you keep a Windoze install for a while... you never know you might need it again someday...

That being said, I've done this for over 2 years but right now I'm also thinking about banning it out of my life forever... I'll miss my games though, maybe I'll put them on e-bay or something. :mr-green:

Nice one! Now all you need to do is clean Windoze off your other machine so you can use it to try out new distros ;)

I was going to keep my Windows machine as a Windows software development platform. However, I do have a 566 MHz Celeron machine here with 256MB of RAM that's doing nothing. I could try other distros there.

I want a distro that is very excellent at automatically recognizing and installing the drivers for a large assortment of hardware, it needs to have tons of software available for it, lots of forums for quick support when problems arise, and it needs to be friendly for Windows users who are starting out in Linux.

Is there any distro that is as good as Mandrake in those areas?

Phil

I want a distro that is very excellent at automatically recognizing and installing the drivers for a large assortment of hardware, it needs to have tons of software available for it, lots of forums for quick support when problems arise, and it needs to be friendly for Windows users who are starting out in Linux.

Is there any distro that is as good as Mandrake in those areas?

Phil

Automatically recognizing hardware? Knoppix

Tons of software available for it? Knoppix hard drive install with debian apt repositories

Lots of forums for quick support? Mandrake

Friendly for Windows users starting out in Linux? Mandrake

Automatically recognizing hardware? Knoppix

Tons of software available for it? Knoppix hard drive install with debian apt repositories

Lots of forums for quick support? Mandrake

Friendly for Windows users starting out in Linux? Mandrake

Yep....

For hard drive install Id recommend kanotix just because its pure debian and gets rid of the liveCD hangovers in a knoppix HD install...

I thinks its as friendly for basic windows users as mandrake ... then mandrake for the middle users and finally pure debian (gentoo/LFS whatever) for advanced ... but not MDK or Suse

Best forum is definately MDK ..... and that is one of the most important things for noobies... not to be underestimated...