thunderbird problem [SOLVED]

Hemtah

Hello,

In my quest of looking 4 a email client, i am actually trying thunderbird, and i have a little problem, thunderbird comes from rpm package, when i create a profile and close thunderbird my profile is gone! what's going on? could someone help me to get thunderbird working?

Thank a lot.

Edited by Hemtah

i don't know (don' use t-bird), but have you saved your profile?

you can grap the latest version from the firefox-site, in case the rpm is buggy and compile it yourself. then it should work. btw.: i use evolution since a very long time and i am quite happy with it. :)

that's my second install, and still got the same prob, can someone give me a good urpm link?

I am happily running Thunderbird on my Mandrake 10.1 system. I will tell you what I did. Mind you, I am a total newbie at this and probably did it all wrong but it works....

I went out to the Mozilla web site and downloaded the Thunderbird tarball or whatever you call it. I saved it in my home directory. Then as ROOT I un-archived it and placed the Thunderbird folder just as it was in \usr\lib. So at this point I had created a \usr\lib\Thunderbird folder with all sorts of folders and files inside it.

Then I logged on as myself and in the KDE setup created a new icon under Internet--->Email, told it to run the PLAIN Thunderbird file in the new Thunderbird folder and for the icon I told it to grab the large one in the \usr\lib\Thunderbird\icons folder.

Yes, yes, yes, I see that I have all my slashes going the wrong way. Sorry! I'm used to working with Windows directories. :D

I hope this helps.

Phil