Adding a new hd [SOLVED]

Dustpuppy

I've been given a 40gb hard drive, which I'd like to include in my desktop setup. As I only use XP to play the Sims I don't need any more than the 37gb for it that it already has. The question is, how can I tell Mandrake that it can use the new hd (it's currently got suse on it)? I'd really like to be able to do this without re-installing Mandy!

Cheers!

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

I'm fuzzy as to your set-up. Would you tell me some speciifics? Partitions on both drives would be helpful.

Generally, any reaarranging of drives means performing an edit on /etc/fstab prior to shutting down and performing the work. I also make a backup of my lilo.conf, use emergency boot to get back into Mandrake, and then copy the good lilo.conf over. This is only necessary if you are moving Mandrake.

Sorry for fuzziness (and incorrect placement of qu.) -

I've currently got a 60Gb hd with 37Gb as a NTFS partition with XP on it, the rest is a Mandrake 10.1 installation. I want to add a new 40Gb hd and tell Mandrake to use it as well as the 23 Gb on the first harddrive.

The 40Gb hd is a cast-off from my brother and currently has Suse 9.1 on it, but I want to wipe it completely.

I know the obvious thing to do would be install XP on the new hd and Mandy only on the first one, but that would mean re-installing both OS's. What I'd like to do is incorporate the new hd into the 10.1 installation without having to re-install it (cos I'm lazy :cheesy: ).

Is this possible?

Yes, and it is easy.

Note: this is computers. Anything that should work might not work on this very day!!! Back up your data.

Install the new drive. Using harddrake, repatition the second drive to what ever formation you want. Then tell Mandy to move the data of a specific folder to that partition. For example, if you create a /usr partition that is 15G, Mandy will ask if you want all your /usr data moved to the new partition. Say yes. It works quite well. You can do theis for any identifiable part on the file tree: /home, /usr, /etc, whatever. Note that if you move root, /, you will have to edit lilo and fstab. As it is, I think Mandy will offer to edit fstab. I always do those things manually because I am anal! :cheesy:

Yes, and it is easy.

Note: this is computers. Anything that should work might not work on this very day!!! Back up your data.

Install the new drive. Using harddrake, repatition the second drive to what ever formation you want. Then tell Mandy to move the data of a specific folder to that partition. For example, if you create a /usr partition that is 15G, Mandy will ask if you want all your /usr data moved to the new partition. Say yes. It works quite well. You can do theis for any identifiable part on the file tree: /home, /usr, /etc, whatever. Note that if you move root, /, you will have to edit lilo and fstab. As it is, I think Mandy will offer to edit fstab. I always do those things manually because I am anal!  :cheesy:

I have a question on this same subject. I have a 120gb drive with [20g ntfs winxp][20g ext3 mdk 10.1][80g ntfs data] I want to add another drive to be used as ext3 data drive. I have installed the drive, formatted it and set it to be mounted as /mnt/data1. after I did this only root could write to this drive. I did 'chgrp jason' & 'chown jason' on the mount point /mnt/data1. This allowed my user ID to have write access to the drive. I know this is not ideal and I would like to know how to allow all system users to have write access to this drive.

root can assign all users full access tot eh drive, and it can be done thru the gui (I use kde but gnome will do it too) Just set the premissions thru the properties of the partition. Setting these partitions will not create any issues for the operating system. Changing permissions for essential folders like /usr can lead to nightmares!!

Just to say - thankyou, Ix. I have now shifted my ~ directory on to the new hd, and it worked fine (slight panic when rebooting and KDE wouldn't load - turned out to be it needed write permission and didn't have it, so I chmodded it in command line and it worked).

For some reason it wouldn't let me move the entire /home to the new hd, but I could move ~.

I now have lots more room for my mp3s :cheesy: