I am back and want to try something new

i doubt that ubuntu will run out of money... multi-millionaire mark shuttleworth and canonical are behind ubuntu... so ... BIG money

uh... and about the "she"... it is (sadly) still rather seldom to find a female on tech-boards. so welcome

Edited by arctic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubuntu isn't going to run out of $. Without going into details, I know that ;) Ubuntu is just debian unstable with tweaks and increased stability. It rose so fast because of the $ being put into it. How often have we said that it all linux needs is some good backing marketing? ;) If you want to try it gnoppix and ubuntu colaborated so get a gnoppix livecd. Free, and free shipping if you don't wanna download and burn it.

Ubuntu isn't going to run out of $. Without going into details, I know that wink.gif Ubuntu is just debian unstable with tweaks and increased stability. It rose so fast because of the $ being put into it. How often have we said that it all linux needs is some good backing marketing? wink.gif If you want to try it gnoppix and ubuntu colaborated so get a gnoppix livecd. Free, and free shipping if you don't wanna download and burn it.

If Linux received the funds winblows gets for development it would put Gates out of bussiness real soon.

Fedora Core 3  :deal:

- Not based on Debian

- My own personal encounter with FC3 wasn't that wonderful... it started out wonderful but after a while things started going wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I went back to Suse anyway.

- But I agree you can learn a lot with the distro; and documentation is probably good as well I guess

Ubuntu isn't going to run out of $. Without going into details, I know that wink.gif Ubuntu is just debian unstable with tweaks and increased stability. It rose so fast because of the $ being put into it. How often have we said that it all linux needs is some good backing marketing? wink.gif If you want to try it gnoppix and ubuntu colaborated so get a gnoppix livecd. Free, and free shipping if you don't wanna download and burn it.

If Linux received the funds winblows gets for development it would put Gates out of bussiness real soon.

Mark Shuttleworth is a Billion dollar dude so Ubuntu isn't strapped for cash :P

Fedora Core 3  :deal:

- Not based on Debian

- My own personal encounter with FC3 wasn't that wonderful... it started out wonderful but after a while things started going wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I went back to Suse anyway.

- But I agree you can learn a lot with the distro; and documentation is probably good as well I guess

It was you :lol2:

She said she would like something deb based, not had to be :D

Mark Shuttleworth is a Billion dollar dude so Ubuntu isn't strapped for cash :P

I am so glad, I was feeling a little guilty for having them send me a disk for free.

Well after doing some more reading Libranet is out since it doesn't seem like new releases are coming out very often. Then again maybe I am just spoiled by Mandrake. I am going to try both Ubuntu and Mepis and see which one I like best. I will post back to let you all know what I thought if you want.

After some traveling around various distros I've come back to MDK.

It's not bad.

Though I'd prefer a apt-get/debian distro, but Ubuntu at the current state is too unusable for KDE (Gnome artefacts in KDE env). At least for me. So I'm sticking with MDK.

Libranet 3.0 will come out soon, so I'll try it then.

p.s. There is a KUbuntu in development too. KDE based Ubuntu.

I'd use Debian, but the installation scares me and I don't have a test box.

Edited by solarian

It's not bad.

Though I'd prefer a apt-get/debian distro, but Ubuntu at the current state is too unusable for KDE (Gnome artefacts in KDE env). At least for me. So I'm sticking with MDK.

Thank you so much for telling me. I had really wanted to try Libranet but 2.8 is at least a year old so I will definitely wait for 3.0. I can't wait, I'll have to go to the site and find out more and maybe preorder or something. I don't think i will ever stop using Mandrake since I really do like it but I am craving a new challenge.

It's not bad.

errm... i think the fastest way to get a kde-based debian desktop is downloading the kanotix-live cd and do a hard-disk install (very easy, explained on their homepage). you will get a basic 1:1 debian system installed on your box that can be upgraded later via apt-get just the way you like it. and hardware detection is very good (kantoix is based on knoppix/debian).