Solaris 10 is out

I_NEED_HELP

I noticed solaris 10 is out now and available to download. Can anyone tell me is it any good to use we use an older version at university. Also how easy is it to duakl boot with windows is it just as easy as linux. Not downloading it yetr but will do soon as it is a bit slow at present. Ill right a rweview as soon as i try it if no one else has.

There's an article in one of the linux mags this month about Sun's policy with Solaris. They have created a new "OpenSource" licence (except it isn't). The author felt that Sun was once again shooting itself in the foot with this licence as developers will avoid it based on the licence. Made a point that Solaris was a really nice OS (except for the license). Also pointed out an independant group that has an installable package that really transforms Solaris into an useable system. Have to see if I can find the article at work..

There's an article in one of the linux mags this month about Sun's policy with Solaris. They have created a new "OpenSource" licence (except it isn't). The author felt that Sun was once again shooting itself in the foot with this licence as developers will avoid it based on the licence.  Made a point that Solaris was a really nice OS (except for the license).  Also pointed out an independant group that has an installable package that really transforms Solaris into an useable system. Have to see if I can find the article at work..

Yeah, this has also been a main story on Groklaw a few days ago:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050202140308780

Guest palepaul55

I'm using Sol 10 at the moment. Not really had time to form a proper review yet.

If your a Gnome user it comes with the Java Desktop System 3 as standard and for office work it uses Staroffice 7.0. Those two items of software alone make it worth having a look. I personally gave it a try 'cause I like to play about with java, so the OS being by Sun i thought the integration would be good.

It has a lot of advanced features i've not even read up on yet let alone tried, but it has all the same tools as Linux, and apparently it can run Linux binaries un-modified through project Janus. Most people comfortable at the command line shouldn't have too many problems trying it out. A couple of things to look out for- once you log in, to add an ordinary user start the Solaris management Console with '/usr/sadm/bin/smc &' from a shell and you can add a user here. Make your xorg.conf with '/usr/X11/bin/xorgconfig' if you don't the next time you log in your screen will drop to 320x480. Last to play CD's you will need to type 'svcadm enable smserver' to stop CD drawer constantly ejecting.

H.T.H.

Guest foo bar

Solaris 10 CDDL is A commercial System 5 Unix. Distributed in Binary only (parts of it may be sourse viewable>)

The CDDL is the Mozilla Public Lic . Without The General Public Lic. part.

The Mandrakeusers board is sponsored by http://kernow-webhosting.com

Solaris 10 has NO drivers( for example network card,sound card) Question are they going to use yours?

Solaris does not yet have a comunity. Question are they going to use yours?

Windows Ce ,and Solaris 10 are released under a similar lic. NOT the GPL.

Sco tried to claim that SYS5 UNIX was mixed into Linux, it isnt.

I cannot say this strongly enough Do NOT assist any SYS 5 code integration into or out of Linux.

P.S. The Groklaw was lied to, Pj was lied to. I believe that this is the first time someone has fooled Pj. Thank you SUN.

edited by anon

The Mandrakeusers board is sponsored by Mandrake please be careful.

From our front page (About Us section):

Mandrakeusers Board was the original creation of Tom Berger, an employee of MandrakeSoft and a highly respected authority on Linux. Few people can claim to be a Linux "guru" but Tom Berger certainly deserves the title. Tom wrote volumes of tutorials on Linux, and his "plain English" approach made it a lot easier for so called "Linux newbies" to understand. All of his tutorials and tips are stored on this board. After his sudden disappearance, a handful of active members took over the running of the board, and created this new MandrakeUsers Board.

Though we are linked to Mandrake, and bear their name, this board is run by and maintained independently of MandrakeSoft. Spreading our wings, we now support and offer technical help on all Linux Distro's.

Has anyone else downloaded it?

I've got all the zips, the md5sums match. I unzip them, then cat them together as is shown in the installation file but I somehow get a different md5sum for that finished file despite the zips downloading perfectly.

Has anyone any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

I fully agree Cybr.

Linux is way better. I've just finished installing Solaris 10 and tested it a little. The first boot was slow but after that, it's as fast as a normal Linux boot ~ 1 minute to the gdm screen. The default desktop is JDS3 which is GNOME + Solaris theme. I still haven't managed to get Sound and Networking going.

One surprizing thing is speed. Although it is compiled for i386 it runs quite fast.

I don't know if I will keep it ..... only if I get sound and networking going. ...... maybe.