MDK 9.1 beta 1

Guest anon

A quick personal observation of 9.1 beta 1.

For those that are wondering, apps load quicker with the updated kernel.

KDE3.1 rc6, a major improvement, the desktop, fonts etc, are clearer, brighter and crisper looking. I remember seeing a post asking how to make KDE and fonts as good looking as RED HAT, well there's no need now, this beta 1 is even better.

Point releases are generally minor updates, and bug fixes. 9.1 final looks like being a major improvement.

Does it worth the try ? .. I mean image my current linux partition, download 9.1 beta, install it, test it and then put back my 9.0 image (if I don't like 9.1 enough .. mmmm maybe not)

MOttS

Thats the whole point of releasing a beta, test it, report back the bugs etc.

Its not meant to be used for everyday use. You should always install beta's on a seperate drive / partition.

Guest HaloScan

I just tried 9.1 beta and like others have said, the new default fonts/font settings look much nicer. It also seems to load up faster and KDE also loads noticeably faster.

The not so good--a lot of hardware things that work in 9.0 final aren't working in 9.1 beta (yet). This is probably because it's such an early release. Most notably, my network setup didn't work even though 9.0 goes through it fine and 9.1 did detect the card and load the right drivers (tulip). The USB mouse also failed to load and I had to resort to a PS2 mouse.

I only used it for less than an hour though because of the above mentioned (to be expected) troubles.

All in all, a good start for 9.1 and hopefully the final product will be polished. And I've got my fingers crossed that Mandrake doesn't fold before the final is out.

Guest HaloScan
And ur fears may come true as per 

http://212.100.234.54/content/4/28859.html .

I made my previous post after reading that actually. However, I've since read: http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/01/10/21...224.shtml?tid=3

And to quote from that article:

Duval says, "I want to make it clear that there will be a Mandrake 9.1, and we see no reason that [development] would stop after [that]."

So it looks like at least 9.1 final will be a reality. :)