Thinkpad 600e Issues

Guest Thebinaryman

Guest Thebinaryman

Hi, i have a thinkpad 600e, and i wish to reformat the drive with mandrake linux 10.0 via installation cds

even after i set it so in the bios, it refuses to boot from the cds, they are burned perfectly, and work on every other computer. also the windows xp pro installer cd did not boot either. This laptop cd does work in windows 98

what do you suggest i do to get it to boot from cd?

-mark

If neither OS (XP and Mandrake) will boot, then perhaps you have a CD (DVD) Drive that does not boot (or even read) from 700MB (or 800MB if that is what you used to burn) size CD's for your old IBM Model. You'll need to create a boot floppy in that case.

If you have 98SE installed on the laptop, does it even read the created 700MB (800MB) CD correctly? If not then that is definitely a read problem and even with a boot floppy will fail to install.

If it does read, it may still not be a drive designed to boot 700MB ( 800MB) CD's so use the boot floppy. Hopefully you won't have installation issues if it can't fully access the full 700MB (800MB) CD's areas while it's installing.

That is one problem Mandrake and all Linux houses should address. Create all ISO's to only max out their size to be able at minimum to fit the regular standard 650MB CD standards only.

Edited by User

Guest Thebinaryman

sorry, i should have said, "it DID work in windows 98se"

what i believe happened is by accident, either msdos.sys or IO.sys or autoexec.bat got corrupted or destroyed from my C:\ drive sometime when windows 98 was working.

i cannot boot then from the hard drive for that reason. "invalid system disk, please replace then press any key"

so i want to reformat somehow and install mandrake linux 10.1

the thinkpad bios is old and is probly the cause of the reluctance to boot from the cd even when its set to do so, but all the bios upgrades, are windows executables.

also the SuSE live-eval cd (i forget what version) will not boot either, and boots perfectly on my dell pII

what i need is some way to get it to boot from the cd-rom drive booting or installing ANY operating system that maybe later i will be able to reformat

What worked in 98SE? The CD rom drive?

Windows 98SE is a 650MB bootable CD rom disc and as I mentioned above, it (Windows 98SE) may be bootable (and possibly only read the older CD's) because your actual CD Rom Drive may only support booting/reading from that old 650MB CD standard.

As it may be an older standard CD drive (depends which option you got) the older CD drives were never designed to do the newer CD Rom discs cause they can not (or were not - depends what one you got) be manufactured to support a standard that was not out (or by choice of your system) till years later. And hence may not boot (or even read) the newer standard of the larger CD disks (700MB or 800MB).

Of course your CD Drive may be gone too. Put in the 98SE CD disc in. If it boots then most likely you got a old drive that will not boot anything on a 700MB or higher CD.

Boot from a Linux floppy (use your Dell to create a boot floppy from Linux CD - instructions are on the CD ) and boot it up and install. It's as simple as that. If it then has problems reading your 700MB Linux CD upon installation, then you need to get a different CD drive (see if you can get the DVD optional drive for it, even used - no guarantees that the DVD supports the 700MB standard, but in all likelihood it should).

If you can't or do not want to get a newer drive for it, then you could just be out of luck for most versions of Linux (and even XP if it came on a 700MB disc - or if you got a burned copy of XP, get it burned on a 650MB disc not a 700MB disc) as most of them have gone to 700MB CD images/ISO's.

Go here also to make sure you got latest of whatever is needed in regards to BIOS. etc., also.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...cid=DSHY-3TLQ2L