/ root menu [solved]

Guest thescamperer

Guest thescamperer

Hi all,

I'm currently trying [ without success ] to install Mandrake 10.1 Final Release. Just so you understand how stupid I really am, it took me something like two hours to work out how to get the computer to boot from the cdrom drive instead of going straight to WindowsXP.

That aside, I'm having trouble creating a root menu. I have a partition set aside for Linux, so I assume that I should select "custom" from the options on partitioning, rather than "erase disk" or "install on Windows drive". But when I try to mount the drive, and try just typing "/" [ as has been suggested by some websites ] it tells me I need an ext3 file or similar. I have tried typing in /mnt/win_d [ d is the drive I want to install on ] but then I am told I need to create a "/" root drive. I'm sorry, the answer is probably blindingly obvious, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~ scampers with butterflies ~

when you run mandrakes partitioning tool, you need to format the partition you want to use for mandrake. so select e.g ext3 or reiserfs for your partition as fileformat and assign it the "/" and make it ~5 gb in size. then you will need a /swap partition (~double ram size) and it is best if you also have one /home partition (again ext3 or reiserfs) for your personal files. this /home partition is especially useful, if you accidently kill your system (hard to achieve) or switch to another distribution. your personal files will be safe on this partition.

good luck :)