"Bringing up eth0 Interface" hangs 3 minutes

Guest n6sap

I have Mandrake 9.1 and I just recently switched to DSL on my Windows box but also tried it on Mandrake and it works.

Except for one problem which I had been searching and searching and no luck. During bootup on Mandrake, the "Bringing up eth0 Interface" just hangs for about 3 minutes and then continues. This is very annoying. And I also been to many Linux forums and they do not know either.

I am using a DHCP and Dynamic IP service, so in other words, Im using an Automatic IP when I connect using DSL.

What could be the problem and since Im still rusty at Linux, please explain step-by-step on whats going on with this. Even the pros do not seem to know whats wrong.

Please help.

Ok, I think I got this solved....last night I checked under the Network Configuration settings and enabled "start connection on boot" and today (Just now) the eth0 interface part does not hang.

But, what if I do not want it to connect on boot?

I'm confused... when the "Start at boot" box was unchecked, it tried to bring up the interface at boot? This is exactly the opposite of what happened on my system.

When I had the ethernet cable unplugged it would hang like that, ostensibly trying to obtain an IP via DHCP. So, I went into MCC and UNchecked the "Start at boot" box. Now it doesn't bother to try to bring up eth0 at boot. I can bring it up with ifup as needed.

I wonder what would happen if you were to uncheck the box again. If it still tries to bring up the interface then you have an alternate config entry somewhere telling Mandrake to bring it up.

As for that, I wouldn't know where to look. :(

Good Luck :)