# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

Untitled 1

oh sorry. i must have pasted it accidentally. its the name of the textfille in gedit where i pasted output.

devires : no hardware problem because it works fine now. (after using mcc for config)

hehe good thing im stuck to programming java app today, i can answer almost in realtime. : )

I am using a linksys 10/100 usb network adapter using the pegasus driver and it does the same thing. Every time I restart the computer, I have to go to the console and 'service network restart' to bring the network up. Its been like that since 9.X's for me. I don't really care just because I go at least a month at a time before restarting, I just wanted to point out that the same thing happens to me.

BTW, i'm running Mandrake 10.1 official w/ all updates and kernel 2.6.8.1-12. It's a celeron 500 w/ ~380mb RAM. Aopen MX3L motherboard. I have no idea what the model is for the linksys adapter, it was given to me by Rogers, my cable ISP.

If anyone has any questions, i'll monitor this thread for a few days.

devires : no hardware problem because it works fine now. (after using mcc for config)

That doesn't mean anything....

Hotplug detects the card and if its connected... if its poorly connected it can fail but can still be set manually and will work... it might be noisy but if your using a 100Mbit link for DSL then you won't notice the noise...

You can try setting the MII to "yes"

also is your hostname correct?

type hostname

personally I wouldn't be using the MCC ... if it doesn't work once its unlikely to work just because you try it again.

what you can do is use a find (with the date switch) before and after connection ...

(redirect it to a file ) and that way you will find what is being updated by the MCC.

Some might be just touched with a new date, others not... once you have ther list you can make copies of the files you think are changing ....

hmm no. didnt work either. im getting kinda depressed. and i dont want to reinstall whole OS because of  that problem...  :wall:

Only other thing i can think of, when i had MDK 9.2 i couldn't make a connection work using the "cable" option in the MCC ( i have cable like you ) but it would work if i choose the "Lan" option. :D

I wasn't on a lan at the time so it shouldn't have worked.....but it did. Might be worth a go, shot in the dark etc. :juggle:

Only other thing i can  think of,  when i had MDK 9.2  i couldn't make a connection work using the "cable" option in the MCC  ( i have cable like you ) but it would work if i choose the "Lan" option. :D

I wasn't on a lan at the time so it shouldn't have worked.....but it did. Might be worth a go, shot in the dark etc. :juggle:

The LAN option in 9.2 had nothing to do with being on a LAN it was simply misleading 'drakespeak' for connected via TCP/IP OE.

similarly DSL meant connected via PPP OE.

If it was DSL then it scanned for a DSL concentrator and didn't set an IP etc.

If it was LAN it issued a DHCP request or you typed in static.

So basically if you had a DSL 'modem' it meant choosing DSL but a DSL router with ethernet meant choosing LAN??

screwy?? yep...

well it was pretty cool that mandrake (10.0) still runs after upgrading cpu and motherboard, the only problem i have now is, that it wont start eth0 at boot time.

(boot message : bringing up eth0 ... [failed])

My guess is that your new MB has another NIC than the old.

When you've got ti working by "Add new connection..." do a 'lsmod' as root and see which

NIC module is loaded (let pretend it's via-rhine). Then 'echo via-rhine >> /etc/modprobe.preload'

- Peder

omg, i just rebooted and... IT WORKS! : )

it took me some time to find out what i did differently, and indeed, anon, it was just selecting LAN connection instead of Cable. (this shot in the dark was worth 10 points :)) But weird, it used to be Cable before and worked fine..

Anyways, thank you guys for your help. I've probably also learned a few things about my Mandrake.

This is a board to recommend. :thanks:

omg, i just rebooted and... IT WORKS! : )

it took me some time to find out what i did differently, and indeed, anon, it was just selecting LAN connection instead of Cable. (this shot in the dark was worth 10 points :)) But weird, it used to be Cable before and worked fine..

Phew!!

/anon/wipes brow! :woot: Hey its party time, :D