ADSL and Cable as non-boot

Totovich

When I boot my laptop, it's very slow. Why? Because it first tries to connect cable internet, and afterwards, it tries to connect ADSL.

Now, I'm both using them, so at weekends, I use ADSL, in week, cable. But I've both installed them, and set them to boot.

so, now my first question to you guys is:

how can I make two scripts, (one for cable, one for adsl), so I can just run the scripts in my Konsole when my laptop has started up? So that I can chose what connection it uses. Inflexion and Arthur knows what connection I'm using for adsl, and how I installed it, so maybe you guys can help me out :-)

my second question is this: I've made a printscreen of the processes I'm running at startup. I don't know exactly what I can safely disable at startup, so some help is also welcome. Also tell me what processes are used for making the adsl and cable connection, so i can disable them on startup.

You can find the two printscreens here:

printscreen 1

printscreen 2

why are you running httpd, proftpd and postfix? is this a web, ftp or mail server? if not then you can untick those. Also, since you're using acpi, apmd will be of little use. I have a pcmcia port, but until I buy a pcmcia card I don't use the service.

you can remove the service "network" to prevent it from connecting to adsl or whatever, but once you log in you'll have to open a terminal, and as root type "service network start"

why are you running httpd, proftpd and postfix? is this a web, ftp or mail server? if not then you can untick those. Also, since you're using acpi, apmd will be of little use. I have a pcmcia port, but until I buy a pcmcia card I don't use the service.

you can remove the service "network" to prevent it from connecting to adsl or whatever, but once you log in you'll have to open a terminal, and as root type "service network start"

pfff, again something strange...

I unticked the services you said, and indeed, the reboot was much faster, but... when it was rebooted, I typed user and pass, followed by startx. Then KDE stopped at 28% (so starting system services).

So there was no way to get in my kde. Not as root, not as user. (I remember, I had the same problem two days ago, when I unticked some system services. Also a dead system at 28%)

So I had to reset things with the mandrake system cd, to get back into my system.

***Update***

When I take a look again at the system services after the restore, everything I unticked is still unticked, EXCEPT the network service.

So I think the problem only occures when I untick the network service.

Edited by Totovich

Make sure your /etc/hosts file is correct:

If you have a static IP address, make sure your FQDN and hostname are mentioned on that line, like 192.168.0.10 tux.mydomain tux

If you have a dynamic IP address or you do not have any additional interfaces at all, add your hostname after the localhost statement, like 127.0.0.1 localhost tux

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml

Make sure your /etc/hosts file is correct:

If you have a static IP address, make sure your FQDN and hostname are mentioned on that line, like 192.168.0.10 tux.mydomain tux

If you have a dynamic IP address or you do not have any additional interfaces at all, add your hostname after the localhost statement, like 127.0.0.1 localhost tux

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml

yeah ok, but that is when kde has a slow startup.

That's not the problem. KDE starts very fast, but it is the whole system that I mean.

So after typing startx, everything is very fast, but before startx, it's very slow, because it's first trying to connect the ethernet, and then the adsl.

SO: now I want to disable those on startup, but when disabling network service that cause the slow startup for the ethernetconnection, my KDE won't work anymore, and I have to reset the settings by using the bootcd of mandrake.

Ok, forget about the ethernet. i've found a solution. Now there is only one problem left, and I created another one :-D

When I type in the Konsole: service speedtouch stop, my adsl connection stops (ofcourse :-) )

but when I do: service speedtouch start, it tries to connect again, but that doesn't work.

So, now my question is: if I want to disable the adsl connection on startup, how can I connect to adsl?

For ethernet service network start works, bbut not for adsl.

Now the problem I created (don't ask me how)

When I logout in kde (I don't use graphical login). I can not shut down my laptop anymore. Yeah, ofcourse with pressing the offbutton for 5 seconds, but that is not a clean shut down....

What can be the reason?

yeah ok, but that is when kde has a slow startup.

That's not the problem. KDE starts very fast, but it is the whole system that I mean.

So after typing startx, everything is very fast, but before startx, it's very slow, because it's first trying to connect the ethernet, and then the adsl.

SO: now I want to disable those on startup, but when disabling network service that cause the slow startup for the ethernetconnection, my KDE won't work anymore, and I have to reset the settings by using the bootcd of mandrake.

Yep because KDE expects its connected to the internet for DNS resolution etc.

So you need to tell your resolv.conf order hosts, dns and make sure your /etc/hosts contains localhost and hostname... then it won't try and resolve itself externally when noyt connected.

When it connects it overwrites these and the routing from DHCP.

Yep because KDE expects its connected to the internet for DNS resolution etc. 

So you need to tell your resolv.conf order hosts, dns  and make sure your /etc/hosts contains localhost and hostname... then it won't try and resolve itself externally when noyt connected. 

When it connects it overwrites these and the routing from DHCP.

ok, and how do I know what my hostname is :P