Help compiling some things.

Scenario: 10.1 community, easyurpmi setup, minimal install (command line only - no package groups selected)

What compilers/librariees do I need to install mysql-4.1.9 from source?

Here's what I currently have...

bison

gcc-3.4.1

gcc-cpp-3.4.1

gcc-c++-3.4.1

libgcc1-3.4.1

libstdc++5-3.3.4

libstdc++6-3.4.1

libsigc-1.2_5-1.2.5

and maybe a few other things, I'm not sure. The ./configure makes it ok, but the make dies about 3/4 of the way through.

NOTE: I've never done this before.

I would, but in a fit late last night, I reinstalled debian stable. But maybe if you can help me with a few basic questions, considering I'm new to mandrake, I would be willing to give it another shot.

1) I have the 10.1 community install. Are there some development packages that are not included with this version that are in others? I seem to be missing a lot of things, even when "Development" is checked. For example, I had to add some media to urpmi to get bison, flex, and a few other things. I never did find a g++/gpp to install.

2) Do I need the kernel headers? The errors above seemed like an include problem as they reported numerous "*.h no such file" and "undefined function" errors.

3) What's the difference between urpmi mirrors? Is there any "sanity" between them? Is there a "best" server to use?

I really want to use mandrake because of being more up to date (supposedly) than debian. This will let me build the latest snaps of mysql and php5, where RPM's are not available.

Thanks in advance.

1.) Mandrake package selection is rather quirky. If you choose "individual package selection" when you're installing, Mandrake automatically selects more of the basic packages, even if you don't actually change the default selections. I don't know why you couldn't find g++ and gpp. They're both part of the main distribution. Did you use urpmi -y g++ to search? Or even use the GUI the Mandrake Control Center?

2.) I've never actually tried compiling MySQL, so I don't know if it requires kernel headers. If you're in the practice of compiling software to bring your system up to date, you should probably have them installed.

3.) The Official distribution doesn't change, so the mirrors should all be the same. The update sources are generally in sync within a few hours. Some servers are faster than others, but they should all work.

That makes SOME sense. I installed 'minimal' command line only. No packages were selected at all. I'm a purist and like to build everything. I don't use x either. The interesting thing is, it coudn't find gcc-c++ at all until I added the easy urpmi sources, and even then it installed that packages, but for all intents, they were empty or had bad signatures. updatedb \ locate c++ souln't find anything except my libstdc++XXX files.

Sorry for the double....

Case in point. On a brand new install of debian, again command line only, during the install I choose 'run task select' but don't choose anything (this forces a few common things to be installed anyway) and to not 'run deselect'. It compiled the same mysql source fine. Debian is how old now??? The only difference I noted was the presence of g++.