problem installing irssi

dubbrich

when I install irssi (with konsole) I get an error saying that it can't find gmodules. well, the gmodules directory is in the irssi-0.8.9 folder. It also says that it comes with glib, which I do have. here's the error:

Building text frontend ........... : yes, using termcap

Building irssi bot ............... : no

Building irssi proxy ............. : no

Building with module support : NO!! /LOAD will not work!

- You're missing gmodule (comes with glib) for some reason,

or it doesn't work in your system.

Building with Perl support ....... : static (in irssi binary)

Perl library directory ........... : (site default - /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi)

Install prefix ................... : /usr/local

any help would be much appreciated.

got both?

localhost:/# urpmf gmodule
libglib1.2:/usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0
libglib1.2:/usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.10
libglib2.0_0:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
libglib2.0_0:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.600.1
libglib2.0_0-devel:/usr/include/glib-2.0/gmodule.h
libglib2.0_0-devel:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.a
libglib2.0_0-devel:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.la
libglib2.0_0-devel:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so
libglib2.0_0-devel:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmodule-2.0.pc
libglib2.0_0-devel:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmodule-no-export-2.0.pc
libglib1.2-devel:/usr/include/glib-1.2/gmodule.h
libglib1.2-devel:/usr/lib/libgmodule.a
libglib1.2-devel:/usr/lib/libgmodule.la
libglib1.2-devel:/usr/lib/libgmodule.so
libglib1.2-devel:/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gmodule.pc

what does

rpm -qa | grep libglib

say?

I ran "urpmf gmodule" and this is what came back:

[dubbrich@localhost dubbrich]$ urpmf gmodule

libglib1.2:/usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0

libglib1.2:/usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0.0.10

libglib2.0_0:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0

libglib2.0_0:/usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0.400.6

Note: since no media searched uses hdlists, urpmf t

You may want to use --name to search for package n

[dubbrich@localhost dubbrich]$

after running "rpm -qa grep glib", I got this:

grep-2.5.1-5mdk

I'm pretty new to mandrake, so I probablydont know what I'm doing. I'm not trying to manually compile it. What happens is that when I run the ./configure file for Irssi in Konsole, I get these errors. Running the ./configure in konsole is the basic way of installing apps in linux, isn't it? damn, I'm starting to get confused.

Well, the "configure/make/make install" process *is* the basic way most software can be installed in Linux, but it is not *necessary* in most distros. ;)

In Mandrake, we have a command-line script called "urpmi", and a gui frontend to that script called "rpmdrake" (which is a subset of the Mandrake Control Panel).

If you haven't yet done so, click the link at the very top of this page that says "Easy-Urpmi", and follow the instructions on that page to get your repositories set up. Once that is done, *most* software installation can be accomplished in a "point-and-click" fashion!

To install software, just open the MCC ("Configure your computer" in the menu, or type "rpmdrake" in a konsole window), select Software --> software installation. Enter the name of the app you want in the search bar (e.g., irssi) and click "Search". Select the package found, and click the "Install" button. Dependencies are automagically taken care of for you. Or you can go strictly command line, and type (as root) "urpmi irssi", and again, everything will be done for you.

You only need to compile from source (which is what the "configure/make/make install" process is) for something that is either too new, or for some reason isn't available as a Mandrake RPM.

Yeah, I knew about rpmdrake, but when I download the tar's of the net, I never see any .rpm's after extracting them. So, you know, I figured it wouldn't work in rpmdrake. I didn't even see that urmi config tool at the top of screen until now. what's the difference between urpmi and urpmf?

urpmf = "find rpm"

urpmi = "install rpm"

;)

Collectively, the urpm scripts are called "urpm*"

And you're right, you will probably never see any .rpms when you unpack a .tar file. If it is a .tar file, it is almost *always* source code.

No need to feel confused. On some distros and in the old days, compiling from source was the way to install stuff in Linux. Then came the RPM-based distros RPM stands for Redhat Package Manager, since Redhat was the first one to come up with it. A much more user-friendly way of installing things. But you still have to deal with dependencies. So, then Mandrake came up with a tool that checks and grabs/installs dependencies for the RPM. That tool is urpmi. Mandrake has a net repository holding all the same RPMs your disk has (except for proprietary/commercial software that is included with PowerPack) and updates. Then there are the PLF and contrib mirrors that contain other things most of which is also included on your disks, but some is left out for the sake of space. Just about anything a newbie needs can be found in one of those sources on RPM. So, you configure urpmi through the link above and if you've seen a source tarball on the net for something you might like, first try:

urpmi <<name of program>>

in a Konsole as root. Of course, you can also search for it as above in MCC -> Software Manager (rpmdrake). Chances are it's there.

You can also look on rpmfind.net for RPMs, but RPMs for other distros can sometimes conflict with your Mandrake system, so be careful. Mostly, that is anything to do with programming/compiling/basesystem stuff. Sometimes you can only find a Redhat RPM for things like an official Yahoo IM program (that one is safe btw).

HTH

hell yeah! that worked and it was easy as hell! Jus one question, though. When I run urpmi "whatever" is the program installing from files on the .ftp servers? cuz that's what it looks like. Or is it copying the files to my pc, then installing? By the way, thanks. you guys helped out alot.

depends on the sources you have for rpm

you can view them in the mandrake control center>Software Management>Media Manager or view the file /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg

cdrom sources are the default, so if you haven't done Easy Urpmi (See link at the top of the page) or MandrakeUpdate then it should be asking for a cd when installing.

hell yeah! that worked and it was easy as hell!  Jus one question, though. When I run urpmi "whatever" is the program installing from files on the .ftp servers? cuz that's what it looks like. Or is it copying the files to my pc, then installing? By the way, thanks. you guys helped out alot.

If you did urpmi.removemedia -a before adding the other sources, then it is only grabbing from the mirrors and yes it does copy the files to your HD then install them, but by default it removes the RPMs after installing them. If you wish it not to remove those RPMs it downloads, then do this instead:

urpmi --noclean <<package name>>

You will then find the files it downloaded in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/