The future of Linux

pbpersson

Don't go running back to virii/malware/spyware excuse either. Yes Linux is good in that area and it does really shine, but with proper software, knowledge (common sense for a better word) and the use of a different browser than I.E. windows can be just as safe as Linux. In the years I used Windows before finding Linux I never had one virus and still on my gaming machine when I surf the net with it I still do not get any of that crap. So it can be done.
windows is as safe as you make it
no hard work here..

you just have to know what you are doing

I thought we were talking about Joe Blow. Joe Blow knows none of those things.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just a JoeBlow that knows how to google ;)

Like I said, I've taken no classes or read any books on computers. Sure I know more than most but I was JoeBlow 3.5 years ago with a win98se that was completely stealth without a firewall or antivirus. It bored me.....so I turned the the more powerful os and here I am. Got a prob? I can google and find your answer. That does not make me a linux guru. LFS? That doesn't not make you an expert. Kernel compiling? Nope. Anyone can read and follow instructions. The same google and software is available to anyone that spends a week with the desire to have a stable secure windows. Yeah, I'm JoeBlow ;)

Edited by bvc

I'm just a JoeBlow that knows how to google ;)

Like I said, I've taken no classes or read any books on computers. Sure I know more than most but I was JoeBlow 3.5 years ago with a win98se that was completely stealth without a firewall or antivirus. It bored me.....so I turned the the more powerful os and here I am. Got a prob? I can google and find your answer. That does not make me a linux guru. LFS? That doesn't not make you an expert. Kernel compiling? Nope. Anyone can read and follow instructions. The same google and software is available to anyone that spends a week with the desire to have a stable secure windows. Yeah, I'm JoeBlow ;)

But the average windows Joe Blow doesnt know that their system is insecure, doesnt know they should use firefox. Many dont know what 'windows' or an 'operating system' is, it's just that funky multicoloured logo they see when they started it.

Joe blow turns on his computer, goes into word, types a english assignment and uses hideous comic sans ms, saves it to my documents, then presses the print button. following that he presses start and shutdown because he was told to. His computer has a purpose, it completes its purpose.

Joe blow might do research for his assignment, he clicks the internet button on his desktop, he types information into the first search box he sees then clicks ok. Maybe if he's seen some advertising or heard something he'll go to yahoo or google.

Joe blow gets really bored of work, so he decides to play a game, he hasnt installed it yet, so he puts the cd in the drive and hopes something will happen, a friendly dialog comes up and he clicks install. next > next > next > install > done> install finishes, probably reboots his machine, and then he clicks the funky new Doom 3 icon on his desktop.

Joe blow isnt going to magically install linux. He doesnt even understand what it is.

He's only going to install it if a friend does it, or his computer comes with it.

Thats enough joe blow anyway..... lets just all totally forget him now, he is totally irrelevent for now.

Linux is going somewhere, and its going there fast guys. We will be seeing linux on the desktop, but its when the PC vendors decide it a suitable time, and they are, at least in america, theres plenty of tiny pc's with a linux distro preinstalled.

The big companies, and the pc vendors are watching us:

http://groups.osdl.org/osdl_members/osdl_roster/

Linux has sparked interest. Let it grow. Make it grow. Go help it grow, submit bug reports, patches, write software, make themes, help newbies, suggest ideas, use it, test it, criticise it, innovate, improve and damn well enjoy it!

but dont bitch, dont debate wheres its going, let us go MAKE IT GO SOMEWHERE..

iphitus

In the meantime, enjoy this :D

mp3'ers http://anthems.zdnet.co.uk/anthems/FensterFreeSoftware.mp3

ogg'ers http://anthems.zdnet.co.uk/anthems/FensterFreeSoftware.ogg

the words and RMS's original version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Software_Song

the above formatting occured due to me in the middle of reading a design book, and feeling damned inspired, damned motivational, and possibly with a hint of insanity

Edited by iphitus

Don't go running back to virii/malware/spyware excuse either. Yes Linux is good in that area and it does really shine, but with proper software, knowledge (common sense for a better word) and the use of a different browser than I.E. windows can be just as safe as Linux. In the years I used Windows before finding Linux I never had one virus and still on my gaming machine when I surf the net with it I still do not get any of that crap. So it can be done.
windows is as safe as you make it
no hard work here..

you just have to know what you are doing

I thought we were talking about Joe Blow. Joe Blow knows none of those things.

Well most importantly (I think) Jo(e) Blow and kin are much more likely to have a reasonably secure linux system than a Win one. If the Jo(e) blow gets it installed then they have a pretty secure system by putting in CDs and following instructions (and not googleing) whereas if you do that with a win98 CD you don't. Most JoeBlows dont want to have to google and do work just to keep the PC runing from day to day!!!! Connecting XP to the internet nowadays is a major undertaking...

Joe Blow doesn't need those things in linux and Ive installed lots of unprotected linux boxes withut hassle, whereas every XP install Ive seen has popup blockers, anti virus etc. etc. and still end up with malware etc.

After that Its cost .. Im sure with enough money and hardware firewall XP can be made reasonably safe... linux just is!!!!

my personal feeling is I just cant be bothered running XP or any type of windows anymore... I agree games are better and stuff like joysticks but Ill just use a console... Windows just aint worth the hassle!

The futue of Linux is quite rosey, thank you very much. It's already established itself on the server side, eating Sun's lunch and being a multi-billion dollar industry. And it's catching on in the desktop arena. Many governments are migrating, as are enterprises. Home use is going up, as Linux has leap-frogged past Mac for the number two spot. Also consider the fact that a lot of Linux desktop usage is "underground", and not able to be accounted for due to people sharing copies, doing downloads and installing with or over the existing OS on their PC.

Now, if only it had a more stylish logo. Frankly that fat Tux penguin annoys me.

p.s. I too have no official computed education or anything. Been using computers since 1999 and all that I have learned is from my experience and some FAQ's.

I'm no programmer, but can do a fairly good graphical and webdesigning.

Fully turned to Linux march last year. I had no problems with Windows, all was firewalled, etc, but I began to feel limited by it, frequent restarting and defrag (I have 440gb) was another reason . Tryed a few distros here and there, but MDK seems good for what I need (Desktop).

Now waiting for Libranet 3.0 to be released, because I love apt-get (Synaptic), hate Debian installation and Ubuntu is too Gnome based for me (besides I hate its' logo (which can be rooted out of course)). Frankly, MDK feels too bloated for me and compiling on it is pain. Thus, yes, give me Libranet 3.0!! :P

Edited by solarian

Now, if only it had a more stylish logo. Frankly that fat Tux penguin annoys me.

p.s. I too have no official computed education or anything. Been using computers since 1999 and all that I have learned is from my experience and some FAQ's.

I'm no programmer, but can do a fairly good graphical and webdesigning.

Fully turned to Linux march last year. I had no problems with Windows, all was firewalled, etc, but I began to feel limited by it, frequent restarting and defrag (I have 440gb) was another reason . Tryed a few distros here and there, but MDK seems good for what I need (Desktop).

Now waiting for Libranet 3.0 to be released, because I love apt-get (Synaptic), hate Debian installation and Ubuntu is too Gnome based for me (besides I hate its' logo (which can be rooted out of course)). Frankly, MDK feels too bloated for me and compiling on it is pain. Thus, yes, give me Libranet 3.0!! :P

Well ubuntu uses the new debian installer, that the next release of debian will use, you can grab it here.

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

iphitus

The future of Linux is now. It's becoming more and more common on the server side, and is making steady gains on the desktop. And as Linux continues to make gains on both the server and desktop, it will continue to gain critical mass, which means more and more software and hardware vendors will target their products to Linux.

What it really needs is a few strong graphics apps. I know a few designers and they all would love to use Linux if they had Photoshop, Macromedia Suite, etc on Linux.

I use Photoshop through Crossover Office/VMware and Flash through VMWare.

You can say much about GIMP, but it simply isn't suitable for more complex graphic job. I know.

Linux will be there fully for me when I can use my Photoshop and Flash without sluggy emulation. Now it's some kind of a twilight zone (vmwares and wines).

What it really needs is a few strong graphics apps. I know a few designers and they all would love to use Linux if they had Photoshop, Macromedia Suite, etc on Linux.

I use Photoshop through Crossover Office/VMware and Flash through VMWare.

You can say much about GIMP, but it simply isn't suitable for more complex graphic job. I know.

Linux will be there fully for me when I can use my Photoshop and Flash without sluggy emulation. Now it's some kind of a twilight zone (vmwares and wines).

yes, the graphic-apps still need some development time, except gimp. i am working in the dtp-printing area and have to work with all available graphic and layout tools available, both on mac 9.2, osx 10.2 and windows xp, from freehand to photoshop, from quark to indesign etc. and the one tool that is closest to the commercial alternatives is gimp. right now, it only lacks alpha blending and most home-users and many professional designers do not even need it.

inkscape (which is better than sodipodi imho) is on a very good way to beat comercial verctor-programs like illustrator in some years. scribus is the app that needs the most development imho. although it already has several good options, the pdf/eps-usage is still significantly inferior to quark xpress but maybe in five years it will be able to compete with quark. and taking into respect the relatively youg age of the linux-apps, they are developing faster than commercial products like e.g. photoshop. take e.g. photoshop 5.5, which is not really that old... but it was one standard app for graphic-design for lots of years although it was a rather bad working, unintuitive tool. gimp is, compared in an age/abilitiy-graphics already the superior app. ;)

and what really makes linux apps shine is their compatibility. try to open a freehand 9.01 file in freehand 10.0 and it will need dozens of minutes for converting the files so they can be used for large-scale printing. or try to open a corel-draw 10 file in cdr 11. the formatting won't be the same, meaning more and more hours of work to fix things.

and for those who believe that all this works better with new power mac or the latest g5: nope. mac osx is worse than 9.1 or 9.2 for graphic design, large-scale-printing or inter-app-compatibility.

so, as long as the big commercial distributions and apps do not really make things better, faster, more stable and easier to use for professional working, linux has a hell of a future imho.

and what really makes linux apps shine is their compatibility. try to open a freehand 9.01 file in freehand 10.0 and it will need dozens of minutes for converting the files so they can be used for large-scale printing. or try to open a corel-draw 10 file in cdr 11. the formatting won't be the same, meaning more and more hours of work to fix things.

and for those who believe that all this works better with new power mac or the latest g5: nope. mac osx  is worse than 9.1 or 9.2 for graphic design, large-scale-printing or inter-app-compatibility.

so, as long as the big commercial distributions and apps do not really make things better, faster, more stable and easier to use for professional working, linux has a hell of a future imho.

I agree with that. I hear it everyday from our prepress department, well not the linux part, but the issues with compat in osx. About every job that comes in has issues. It's really funny when our client sends a 3 year old file with even older fonts, which just can't work in osx and look good, and they go...huh? But you have to go with the flow to get anything done anymore. We used to keep the older machines with 9.1 around but you spend so much time fixing things that it's cheaper to redo the file and charge the client to rebuild it with the new fonts etc....bla bla

Once all of your hardware is working in Linux, it has a way of growing on you, which is subtle and insidious. You find that you forget when you last rebooted into Windows. Here, rebooting into Windows is fairly routine (usually 3 - 4 times per week). I have to spend a substatnial amou of time in Windows to do what I want to do, since no Linux equivalents exist.