Computer Auto Shutdown [Solved]

Bellies

Hey

I know this has been asked a lot but I still can't find the answer :wall:

I have Mandrake 10.0 using LILO boot loader, however when I click Turn computer off it stops at Power Off. ie. doesn't turn itself off.

I read that selecting Linux instead of Linux SMP worked and it did once but when I made it the default selection in LILO it stopped working, I did have enable ACPI ticked.

So now I am back to where I started without being able to auto shutdown on either Linux or Linux SMP.

Thanks

Edited by Bellies

I have an IBM motherboard that definitely supports Power management because I have a dual boot with windoze and that auto shuts down. There are no bios updates available.

Lilo.conf already had acpi=ht so i have altered this to acpi=off hopefully will work.

What is the deal with ACPI vs. APM?

The following worked for me. Boot into a standard kernel (no SMP, enterprise, 4Gb, etc), with kernel options acpi=off, noapic, nolapic. Turn off acpi service and start apm service. For this, become root and run from the command line

# service acpi off
# service apm off     (or # service apm status  to check if apm is on)
# service apm on

For me, shutdown worked at this stage. I also have thinkpad and thinkpadpm modules loaded, these came with MDK kernel. You may want to try these as well.

Unfortunately none of the above has worked I have tried ACPI = On,HT & Off. I ran lilo -v to confirm the change but none work.

Does anyone use LinuxSMP and ACPI successfully, I have resigned to having to turn the computer off myself.

Thanks Anyway

Unfortunately none of the above has worked I have tried ACPI = On,HT & Off. I ran lilo -v to confirm the change but none work.

Does anyone use LinuxSMP and ACPI successfully, I have resigned to having to turn the computer off myself.

Thanks Anyway

I am a complete newbie, have installed Mandrake 10.1 and selected ACPI on in:

Start ===> System ===> Configuration ===> Boat loader

works fine :D

I'm using an SMP kernel and acpi. Works fine for me.

I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I see in some of these posts ACPI=ON and similar. I don't know if you are reading that from a gui tool or if you are looking at it in lilo.conf, but Linux is case-sensitive. In lilo.conf it should be acpi=on or acpi=off or acpi=ht or whatever. I apologize if I am jumping to the wrong conclusion, but didn't want to overlook the obvious either. Have you tried other options in combination? noapic nolapic ?

You also have to make sure the acpi and acpid packages are installed on your system.

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

That's good mate I'm glad your still interested. Unfortunately its not a case issue because I just checked and they are lowercase. Both acpi and acpid are installed, I have tried downloading the latest versions but they are already the ones installed.

I haven't tried noapic or nolapic so I'll have a go.