No printing, no error message...

I have a printer connected to my server via a parallel port. dmesg | grep lp returns that lp0 is on parallel0

I have parport, parport_pc and lp loaded as modules. I have been trying to configure the printer via the cups browser interface.

None of this works at all and I get no error messages in any of the logs!

Can anyone suggest a way forward?

To give a little more info. Whenever I try and start a job, the status changes from "idle, accepting jobs" to "parallel port is busy, will rety in 30 seconds"

Not sure if that's relevant or not...

How are you sending the job?

What distro?

What version of cups?

Was it an RPM install or did you build from source?

What printer?

Does the printer appear in printers.conf in the cups directory?

Have you tried the cups WWW admin tool to print a test page?

Did you look at the cups output in the logfiles /var/log/cups/ if your using recent mandrake...

TRY this to get a better grasp of the problem adjust the path to your system

tail -f -n50 /var/log/cups/yourerrorfilenamegoeshere

When debugging anything most people totally forget to look at the log files, and then even more dont turn on debugging if available when they do have problems and are looking at the logfiles.

Cups if nothing else is REALLY good at putting out information about what is going on. If you look in the cupsd.conf as I recall there is a place to define the logfile to debug mode so that alot more output is given. Poke around there and you will probably find out if its a CUPS error or a Distro error or a hardware error.

Isaac

P.S. sorry for all the questions but its better to put out all the information right up front then if nobody answers its because nobody knows instead of nobody answering due to a lack of information.

Edited by isaac_golding