Please help me find a modem

Guest Bashar

Hi,

I have Mandrake 10.0 installed and I'm trying to find a suitable dial-up modem to work with it. I tried reading some How-tos and other documentation but that left me totally lost. Can somebody please give clear and simple advice regarding this issue, Thank you for you time.

All Regards

devries: i doubt your average bloke at the store knows what a winmodem is. 

bashar: go for an external modem. pretty simple :) 

You're quite right

As a matter of fact (where I live) very few people realise that Linux exits... this also applies to sales people in computer stores, Unfortunately.

There one thing you probably could help me with, Is an external modem the same thing as a hardware modem?? Also I once read that "USB external modems are better avoided" (I think on linmodems.org) Does that mean I have to go for a special type of external modems???

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bashar

I also run Mandrake 10.0 and have no problems with my internal modem just two points to look at before purchase:

1) Does the packaging say anything about Linux use (mine came with old Redhat drivers)

2) Check on the net that you can get some Mandrake 10.0 drivers for the exact modem.

In NZ where I live there are probbaly only 10000 Linux users in a country of 4 million so shop guys have no idea :P

Edited by Bellies

• 3 weeks later...

Any serial modem should work.

As for usb modems, avoid those - nothing but trouble, even on MSWin.

To know if a pci modem is a hardware modem or not, there are some clues:

if the name has HSP or HSF, it's likely a winmodem. (Host Signal Processing)

if the minimum requirements are: P 150 or so, tough luck. A true hardware modem needs maybe a 486 or less.

Basically, winmodems/softmodems let the cpu do the work (and on laptops often the soundcard too, so no audio when the modem is in use).

That said, there are now plenty of pci softmodems/winmodems that do work, but an external serial modem just saves you lots of hassle.

I can specificaly reccomend the Crative labs ModemBlaster external serial modem. I used it for a couple years and it's just a great 56k modem. Has both styles of serial plugs included, never fails, requires no special drivers in linux or windows.

I hear that Smart Link PCI Modem work with Linux, also Lucent?Agere PCI Modems, Zoom makes the best modems SERIAL & PCI. I had a Cendyne External modem that I used till recently to access www through Linux, but one fine day it just got burnt. Now I bought this Diamond SupraExpress 56e External SERIAL Modem with whom I am having so much trouble beyond initial connection. This has a Conextant chip. Avoid every modem that has a Conextant chip inside for Linux.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I have Mandrake 10.0 installed and I'm trying to find a suitable dial-up modem to work with it.  I tried reading some How-tos and other documentation but that left me totally lost.  Can somebody please give clear and simple advice regarding this issue,  Thank you for you time.

All Regards

Modem Help

Here are some notes made to myself on the road to getting internet connected with Linux....hope it helps.

Just got on line with Amigo AMI-IA56 internal PCI dialup modem with Intel 536ep chipset. Maybe this will help.

1. Your ISP must play nice w/Linux...mine didn't (AOL) , had to change ISP.

2. I guess you know that DSL thru LAN (NIC) connection is easiest. No drivers. Took about 4 minutes.

3. Next easiest is dialup with external serial (NOT USB) modem. Google for Best DATA or US Robotics. No drivers. Takes about 10-15 min. to configure in Kppp. I bought one for the kid's PC at thrift store. ($4). Everyone's getting rid of older 56k ser. modems. (they work with linux and are faster than some int. PCI modems)

4. Of course I chose the most difficult install. This was my tutorial to myself after successful install.

I cannot guarantee any success with your setup:

My setup is:

Mandrake 10.0 download.

KDE3.2

Konqueror

2.6.3-7 kernel

Amigo AMI-IA56 internal hdwr PCI modem w/Intel 536ep chipset

Intel 536ep modem install

Install modem in PC

make sure kernel source is installed by the following:

(you must have your install cd's ready)

open a terminal>logon as root(su)>enter password>then type:

# urpmi kernel-source

Must use EXACT drivers for EXACT modem for EXACT kernel version.

Use the intel 536ep 4.69-mdk10-up.tgz file from Intel site. Drivers on modem disk are outdated (they are for kernel 2.4.x)

Use GUI to create empty folder in /home/user/ ....named Intel

copy .tgz file to folder using GUI

unzip the file by one of the following methods:

In terminal:

# tar -zxvf <filename>.tgz

the file will be unzipped into a new folder in the Intel folder

OR

In the GUI (Konqueror) right click the .tgz file>choose actions>choose extract here. Again, new folder will be created in Intel folder.

Use whichever method DOES NOT impose locked permissions on the unzipped files.

Follow instructions in the readme created in the unzipped folder.

Go back to terminal:

move into the directory created by the unzip action by:

# cd <filename directory>

# make clean

# make 536

#make install

reboot PC

this will create a /dev/modem/ link. Use this setting in the Kppp dialer.

The Kppp dialer is a completely different project once you have loaded the drivers. If you need help, I will try to post, but am still experimenting with modem commands...... ...slower connect speeds (28800 - 45000) actually give the best combination of speed AND stability.

Good luck

Edited by Trio3b