TV resolution woes

KopiX

I tried posting this on linuxquestions but received no responce, so I thought I may as well try here..

This has been pissing me off for months now, and after endless googling I havn't gotten any closer to solving anything..

The only resolution X will properly display (and this seems to be a unique issue of this computer as my other one with a Geforce4 Ti4400 has always been able to do many resolutions) is 640x480. That'd be fine, except that theres a large black border around the screen, and being as I'm trying to view this on a TV, which has no controls to widen the screen manually (which is really what i need)..

Basically, I have a Geforce 2 MX400 plugged in via its S-Video out into a TV, Specifically a Samsung DynaFlat TXN2730F not that it matters..

In my Xorg config I have it set up to have HorizSync 30.0-60.0 & VertRefresh 60

This leaves me once X starts with only one resolution that will work with this TV apparently (though like I said, others have worked before), 640x480. Thats a fine resolution for me, if it filled the screen..

I'm left having a border of about a inch on either side and half inch on the top and bottom of just black space. I've tried endless modelines to get it in a different resolution or fit more of the screen. The only thing I've managed is to have 800x600 which has an even larger border.. Ideally, I'd have 720x480 (I think thats the NTSC one), but none of the modelines I've found for it have ever worked..

I've tried xvidtune, which only distorts the edges of the screen and does not modify anything. and I've tried nvtv, which often after changing resolutions results in the computer completely freezing after a few seconds..

As far as the TV itself goes I'm almost positive it can handle more than 640x480 @ 60 and not have massive borders, I've done it before, not on this graphics card, but in the past it has worked.

The only information I've managed to get about the TV's screen capabilities is that it has horizontally 500 pixels..

I've run out of resources on google to read into, maybe I just never found the right ones, but if anyone out there has any idea of what I need to do to stretch the screen or use a different resolution or something to be without this border around it I'd really appreciate it..

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I don't know the answer but remembered reading on the Freevo FAQ page about a similar problem (though for a different card) http://freevo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/doc/...1c9ad758db21bba. They suggest using fbset. http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/usr/s...man8/fbset.8.gz

Maybe it's woth a try. (Or buy yourself a monitor :) )

Are you using the Nvidia driver, the generic nv driver, or the vesa driver? If you use the Nvidia driver, have you tried adding Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV" to your xorg.conf file? Have you tried changing your horizontal sync to 30-50? Other Nvidia driver parameters to try:

Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

Thanks devries, I'll try that when I get home later (few hours from now)

For now, heres a copy of my xorg.conf for more reference to how I have things set up..

I am using NVIDIA's driver, and do have a HorizSync of 30-50, I also have the TVStandard option set to NTSC-M, ConnectedMonitor set to TV,TV-0, and have the TVOutFormat option set to SVIDEO

I'm starting to wonder if maybe its the actual GPU chipset itself thats the problem.. Really I have no clue though

Thanks again

xorg.conf.txt

Guest cbrinke1
Well fbset has gotten me nowhere.. If anyone else has any ideas I'm open to suggestion.

It seems like such a simple thing to do, apparently not though, afterall, this is linux..

I was and still am having the same woes you did attempting to get linux to output to my Samsung TXN2730F with an S-Video cable. I was able to get a windows XP box to output, only black and white. No color. I read that the cable does that some times, so I bought another cable... no dice. So just on a whim plugged my DVD player into the S-video port... still no color. Finally I tried my playstation 2... again no color. I am thinking that this model of TV does not support Colorized S-Video input.

YMMV of course, but thats what I have so far

• 2 weeks later...
I was and still am having the same woes you did attempting to get linux to output to my Samsung TXN2730F with an S-Video cable. I was able to get a windows XP box to output, only black and white. No color. I read that the cable does that some times, so I bought another cable... no dice. So just on a whim plugged my DVD player into the S-video port... still no color. Finally I tried my playstation 2... again no color. I am thinking that this model of TV does not support Colorized S-Video input.

YMMV of course, but thats what I have so far

Well I was going to suggest you try a different video card, but it looks like your TV is just a bitch.

Luckily I finally fixed my problem, I swapped video cards with someone else's which was a newer model and supported TVOverScan, which worked like a charm, thank god! though it seems to have distorted the picture some!

Anyways, I hope you figure out something to solve your problems, that sounds pretty absurd that S-Video wouldn't support color video.