Good theme

Totovich

Does someone has a good theme rpm from http://www.kde-look.org/ or somewhere else, where you can setup transparant windows?

So not only the title bar or status bars.

Tanx in advance

and now I started a topic: is it normal that linux startup time is very slow?

How can I decrease the boottime?

btw, it is not my hardware that is slow ;-)

transparency has nothing to do with kde-look org and rpm packages. it has to do with the xserver. if you have x11 on yor box, you can enable transparency but this is useless on an older machine as it will become extremely slow.

in order to increase your startup time, you might want to disable some services like harddrake at startup in mandrake-control-center → system → services.

transparency has nothing to do with kde-look org and rpm packages. it has to do with the xserver. if you have x11 on yor box, you can enable transparency but this is useless on an older machine as it will become extremely slow.

in order to increase your startup time, you might want to disable some services like harddrake at startup in mandrake-control-center → system → services.

tanx for the answer.

I did this:

[root@10-91-6-85 kristof]# urpmi x11

De volgende pakketten bevatten x11:

dbus-x11

gstreamer-x11

libSDL_gfx11

libSDL_gfx11-devel

libSDL_gfx11-static-devel

libgtk+-x11-2.0_0

libxorg-x11

libxorg-x11-devel

libxorg-x11-static-devel

ncbi-tools-x11

pcmcia-cs-x11

quake2-x11

quakeforge-clients-x11

xmame-x11

xmess-x11

xorg-x11

xorg-x11-100dpi-fonts

xorg-x11-75dpi-fonts

xorg-x11-Xnest

xorg-x11-Xvfb

xorg-x11-cyrillic-fonts

xorg-x11-doc

xorg-x11-glide-module

xorg-x11-server

xorg-x11-xfs

but I have alreay installed most of this stuff. So IF I have already xserver, how can I setup it so the windows are transparant?

well, mandrake is known for ease of use, not speed. you can stop services running at boot, like pcmcia if you don't use it.

GNOME also starts much faster than KDE in my experience, and I think it looks better too. www.kde-look.org and www.gnome-look.org are good places to get themes.

Lastly, you can recompile your kernel to make it much smaller and faster - mandrake kernels are very, very bloated. Some experimental patches like the kernel nitro patches might make it even faster.

i don't think you should do the xorg transparency for now, since it makes things so much slower. but if you really want it, you should have Xorg 6.8 (urpmi --test xorg-x11) and follow the HOWTO in the tips and tricks section in this board.

Edited by arthur

I'm pretty sure I have everything already installed of xorg x11, but I don't know how I can make the windows transparant now.

I went to configure your workenvironnement, and when I go to windowdecoration or style or whatever, I can only make the titlebar transparant, but not the windowbackground.

Or am i doing something wrong?

btw, is gnome really faster than kde? If so, I will try gnome over a couple weeks.

update:

actually I want to try GNOME now, but is it possible to use gnome instead of kde without re-installing mandrake in total? how?

Edited by Totovich