kde menu editor

Jas

i was screwing around with my menu editor today, and i've kinda messed my menu up, everythings all arranged differently, and some things dont even show up at all >_<. how can i reset it to the way i first installed mandrake? :wall::wall:

Is it the kde start menu you have (that you have to edit with kmenuedit) or the mandrake start menu (edit with menudrake). The mandrake start menu is the defealt. Click in menudrake on the menu-style icon and see if original start menu is checked. If it is you are using the kde start menu.

Now your problem: If it is the mandrake startmenu, open menudrake, click 'file' and reload user configuration. Try that a few times.

If it is the kde startmenu, run kappfinder (you might need to install that one). It will look for programs on your system that aren't mentioned in the start menu. With kmenuedit you can edit the start menu.

Good luck.

one final chance to get everything back to its original status is removing all hidden configuration files (= "/.xxx") of kde, mdk and/or gnome. but only do this if nothing else works.

Edited by arctic

another way is create a new user...

check everything is fine then copy the menu part into your existing user :D

The Mandrake menu system though is weird since it tries to intergrate all the different possible desktops... and users etc. I personally find it confusing. (I prefer to select the use native menu's option)

When using pure KDe menu's kappfinder searches for known apps and then you choose to add em... I usually do this then tune it a bit ... once they are working its easy to copy/paste and generally move em about.

I tried going to the "Edit K Menu", and i dont know why but the thing that comes up now to edit the menu is different than what I used to get when I clicked Edit K Menu

edit: i tried going to run and typing in "kmenuedit" (without quotes duh) and i got an error message saying "KDEInit could not launch 'kmenu-preferences-switch'" :furious3:

Edited by Jas