unable to install gaim

udontlie

when i try to install some softwares, like always it asks me for the installation cds

i pop the cd that it wants and pressed ok

but it doesnt work

i still says i have to insert that cd

i tried to check the mount by going to /mnt/cdrom and see if there was anything inside there

there was nutin inside the folder

i thought maybe it was the cd then so i tried another cd which is a music cd

but that also was not detected

so i thought maybe the mount is bad?

so i tried to mount it myself by doing a mount -t auto /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

this time i checked that the data is indeed in the folder /mnt/cdrom

but it still asks me for the cd when i click ok

does anyone no what is wrong?

i have just started to use mandrake not too long ago and i m still not familar with it

i used to use mandrake 10 and i never had this problem

but now i m using 10.1 and this happens

can someone help me out?

thanks

I'm getting a similar problem with GAIM where its asking me for the Mandrake DVD (which I installed from). The problem is its asking me to put it in the CD ROM drive and not my DVD drive. Its not giving the option which drive to put it in and keeps physically popping open my CD ROM and demanding the DVD.

I'll give the suggested solution a try but fair warning, this is only day 2 for me as a Linux user, so you'll probably see me posting again shortly :D

I figured that much out of what he was talking about :

If in Mandrake Control Center you go down to Software Management -> Media Manager you can see that it references the Installation CD Rom (or in my case the DVD). Unchecking that seems to bring the Gaim installation to a halt though. The installation says something along the lines of the Gaim installation could not be loaded.

I did manage to google around and find a thread with people with the same problem as I in Mandrake 10.1, the only problem was that it was in French and google´s translation feature still has significant room for improvement.

Any how, I´m under the impression that I should be clicking ¨Edit¨ within the media manager where it says ¨Installation DVD (cdrom1)¨. When doing so I get 2 fields that I believe most likely need altering:

1. URL: (which currently says removable://mnt/cdrom/media/main)

2. Relative path to synthesis/hdlist: (which currently says ../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz)

But as I stated previously, this is only day 2 of my Linux using, so I have no idea what I should be altering these too. Or maybe I´m looking completely in the wrong place. Either way, um, help?!

Thanks

After opening the MCC -> Configure Media window. Uncheck the box in the "Enabled?" column next to the DVD entry. This will effectively make Mandrake ignore the DVD when deciding where to install packages from.

Now that that is done, you need to give Mandrake another place to look for packages to install. This is where Easy-Urpmi comes in. Follow their instructions and then try installing gaim again.

Good Luck :)

Thanks!!!

I won´t actually need to do that for my GAIM install, because I googled the file that GAIM was trying to install (other than the GAIM installation file) and installed it myself, then ran the GAIM installation without any problems.

None the less, I running into the same problem when trying to install the NVIDIA drivers and MAN am I tired of everything being soooo big.

Thanks again!

Check this thread from the FAQ section, it's all about URPMI. As suggested, URPMI will make your life soooo much easier. Check it out here.

Hang in there, search around this Board, post questions, and maybe check out aRTee's site, Mandraketips4free

At times it may feel a little (or a lot) :alien: but sites such as here at MUB really will help you out.