modem connects but no webpages [solved]

bobterri

No, I didn't try different dns-servers. Can't hurt, right? I did try logging on with wvdial and it would log on and immediately disconnect.

According to MCC my firewall is disabled, so I don't know how it could be the cause of the problem.

I believe the info from "tail -f /var/log/messages" shown a couple of posts ago hold the key to unlocking the problem. I just don't know enough about linux to interpret the information.

It's frustrating.

I seem to have a similar problem. My eth0 is started up at boot, and dialing up with kppp (which starts ppp0) connects me, but I can't see any pages/get mail etc.

I have to manually stop eth0 before dialing, then it works fine.

Is there a workaround / fix for this ? I had the same problem with Peanut Linux.

you can disable the autoloading of eth0 at system booting in the mandrake-control-center. eth0 can always be enabled later, if needed, either with the connection-tool in the taskbar or e.g. using the terminal, typing "ifup eth0".

Edited by arctic

arctic, there must be a way to route the network through ppp0 automatically as soon as dialed up. Worked well enough with other distro's.

I will try the Gateway tab in the kppp setup tonight and let you know if it does the trick.

Otherwise, with kppp you can set commands to execute before dialup and after hangup: sudo ifdown eth0

and sudo ifup eth0 upon disconnect.

I seem to have a similar problem. My eth0 is started up at boot, and dialing up with kppp (which starts ppp0) connects me, but I can't see any pages/get mail etc.

I have to manually stop eth0 before dialing, then it works fine.

Is there a workaround / fix for this ? I had the same problem with Peanut Linux.

I initially had the same problem with eth0. I did snooping around and found my /etc/sysconfig/network file had a gateway entry set to eth0. I commented it out and all works fine now.

arctic, there must be a way to route the network through ppp0 automatically as soon as dialed up.

i agree... but i do not use ppp0 with my router, so i cannot tell from my own experience how this can be solved best.

Edited by arctic

I tested setting the "Assign the default route to this gateway" on in the Gateway tab in the account edit dialog. Didn't work.

I also tried the "Disable existing DNS servers during connection" setting in the DNS tab. Also didn't work.

I then setup kppp to execute "sudo ifdown eth0" before connecting, and "sudo ifup eth0" after disconnect in the Execute tab. This worked. Of course, I had to add myself to sudoers.

Hmmm, not optimum. I hate it when these things are not tested. I suppose all the dev's / testers have permanent connections and don't have to use dialup.

Will try the /etc/sysconfig/network option next.

Allright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I clicked on KPPP in my menu and then clicked the "configure" button. Then I chose the "accounts" tab and highlighted my ISP. I then clicked the "edit" button. I then chose the "dial" tab and clicked on the "Customize pppd arguments" button. I then added "nobsdcomp" and "nodeflate" to this interface (Thanks "jumpedintothe fire" from JustLinux.com). I then clicked the OK button in each of the interfaces that were open and then clicked on the "connect" button and guess what?

Ladies and gentlemen, I am typing this response using dial up.

Thanks to all of you who helped out. Maybe someone else can benefit from this.

Allright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I clicked on KPPP in my menu and then clicked the "configure" button. Then I chose the "accounts" tab and highlighted my ISP. I then clicked the "edit" button. I then chose the "dial" tab and clicked on the "Customize pppd arguments" button. I then added "nobsdcomp" and "nodeflate" to this interface (Thanks "jumpedintothe fire" from JustLinux.com). I then clicked the OK button in each of the interfaces that were open and then clicked on the "connect" button and guess what?

Ladies and gentlemen, I am typing this response using dial up.

Thanks to all of you who helped out. Maybe someone else can benefit from this.

i am almost sure that someone will benefit from this information :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gjpercival
Check this out. When I ran tail -f /var/log/messages while I logged on ppp0 and logged off I got:

Jan 24 15:59:53 localhost kernel: PPP generic driver version 2.4.2

Jan 24 15:59:53 localhost pppd[12556]: pppd 2.4.2 started by bob, uid 501

Jan 24 15:59:53 localhost pppd[12556]: Using interface ppp0

Jan 24 15:59:53 localhost pppd[12556]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/3

Jan 24 15:59:54 localhost pppd[12556]: PAP authentication succeeded

Jan 24 15:59:54 localhost kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered

Jan 24 15:59:54 localhost kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module registered

Jan 24 15:59:55 localhost pppd[12556]: Received bad configure-ack: 1a 04 78 00

Jan 24 15:59:55 localhost pppd[12556]: local IP address 167.142.10.131

Jan 24 15:59:55 localhost pppd[12556]: remote IP address 167.142.225.53

Jan 24 15:59:55 localhost pppd[12556]: primary DNS address 167.142.225.3

Jan 24 15:59:58 localhost pppd[12556]: Received bad configure-ack: 1a 04 78 00

Jan 24 16:00:22 localhost last message repeated 8 times

Jan 24 16:00:24 localhost pppd[12556]: CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Jan 24 16:01:00 localhost CROND[12704]: (root) CMD (nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.hourly)

Jan 24 16:01:01 localhost kernel: ppp: compressor dropped pkt

Jan 24 16:01:34 localhost last message repeated 7 times

Jan 24 16:01:37 localhost kernel: ppp: compressor dropped pkt

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Terminating on signal 15.

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Connection terminated.

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Connect time 1.9 minutes.

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Sent 1218 bytes, received 605 bytes.

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Connect time 1.9 minutes.

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Sent 1218 bytes, received 605 bytes.

Jan 24 16:01:42 localhost pppd[12556]: Exit.

GJP - After upgrading home firewall to 10.1, ppp would not connect to ISP, same error as above.

Since it was working before the upgrade, I dropped pppd 2.4.1 (happened to have 2.4.1 rpm handy so I just extracted files and copied them over the top). This works fine... (using it now).

I presume there is some protocol problem with my ISP, however if time allows I will set up a spare box at work which I already loaded 10.1 on to, and do some tests.

If anyone knows what is wrong / different with ppp 2.4.2 I would like to hear, however 2.4.1 works fine so the problem is not urgent.