PCMCIA slot

leupi

I am trying to install a wireless PC card (Netgear MA 401) in a PCMCIA slot on a Dell Latitude D600. When I plug it in no lights on the card ever light up and when I go to MCC and look at hardware there is no card listed, nor are the PCMCIA slots listed. I know that the slots and the card are good as the card is usable when I boot the system into Win XP. The same thing happened with a D-Link card that I had tried to use earlier.

I went into MCC > Software Management > Install and found software called 'pcmcia-cs-3.2.8-1mdk' and I installed it but it changed nothing. Is there something that I need to do to 'turn on' the PCMCIA under Linux?

If I can at least get this wireless PC card working it will make it a bit easier on me while I am trying to get my Intel Centrino wireless working, this 100' patch cable snaking through my living room and downstairs to my router really sucks...

Thanks

Todd

After more googling, I went into /etc/modprobe.preload and added the lines:

yenta_socket
cardmgr

and now the lights on the card light up but that is about it. Even after rebooting with the card in, it was not detected. One step closer but still not there...

I also find that when I go to MCC > System > Services, the pcmcia is listed but it is 'stopped'. When I hit the start button nothing happens. There is a check mark at 'on boot' but even after a reboot (yes, I am used to Windows, I reboot at the drop of a hat, old habits die hard...) it is still listed as 'stopped'.

Now I find that if I open a terminal, log into root and go to /etc/rc.d/init.d and then:

PCIC=tcic ./pcmcia start

then I can use my wireless card. Is there a spot that I can put that command so that I do not have to type it in everytime that I reboot the computer?