DVD Copying

Shadowchaser

Yeah i have to admit I haven't actually tried this....I meant to but then I just play the disk version...  if I tested it it really would be an academic exersize. 

I have heard that the HW DVD players are fussy especially over DVD-R or +R etc.  but multiformat writers age getting really cheap. 

To me the cost of lots of blank DVD's isn't worth it when you can get a 200GB disk for around $100

I agree that it makes sense to go for the HDD option. But in Shadowchaser's example s/he want's something separate for the kids. I just looked again at amazon (.co.uk) cheapest new divx now at £65.00 - but the best thing about this is, even if you don't buy from Amazon - you can check out the customer reviews and tech spec' so you get a better idea what you get for your lolly before you shop around and part with the hard earned stuff.

Yep those reviews are essental over something like this. Where you might get incompatibility etc. its better if someone has already tested :D

Shadowchaser: If its an older XBOX there is no physcial mod needed. You load a exploit into the installer via MechWarrior (you just need a savegame which is the exploit on the XBOX expantion card) and the install CD. I use Ed's Xebian and it comes more or less with everything you need :D

It uses the spare part of the disk which is unused and I just reboot to play XBOX games.

Its a convenient way to do TV out .... and the sound etc. are pretty good.

New XBOX's need a mod because they haven'ty yet cracked them but its pretty close ... your version if its last years is prob OK, you can ch3eck the xboxlinux site for the serial numbers first though.

Then its wife abating over wires.... or $100 on a wireless stick-on.

Its a shame the XBOX is USB1 only because a nice big USB disk attached would be great but I use it over the network.

I know its hard convinsing spouses of this but you soon save the cost of a couple of DVD's and then the cost of 10 DVD writeables etc.

If you go for a modded XBOX look for one with a nice HDD already inside ... if not there seems little need to buy a special one.