To sync or not to sync

ab2ms

For starters I've read every how-to and scrap of info I could find. I am running mdk 10.1 official, and want it to talk to my tungsten t2. I tried and tried and gave up last week. Being the stubborn guy I am, I try to sync every now n then just for the heck of it. Well I tried it today and heard that nice little tweedle-dee! j-pilot had successfully talked to /dev/ttyUSB2 so I do know where my palm likes to hang out. Problem is...... it synced that once. That's it. I tried several times since, but no go. I try different timing schemes, push sync on the palm, wait 5,10,25 etc. seconds but I can't figure out what sort of voodoo black magic I used that once. It worked, so I know it CAN work, but there must be some weird/obscure variable that just isn't cooperating. So basically I am hoping this little dilemma I have will pique someones interest that may be able to shed some light on this situation and allow me to hear that happy little sound again and save me from having to boot to the dark side. I haven't changed a single thing since the one success, just tried to sync so it "should" be all set with no APIC, udev entry etc. thanks Todd :wall:

OK so I successfully synced repeatedly. When I pushed hotsync ttyUSB1 and 2 were the 2 devices created. so...... 2 supposedly is the one I want. It even worked once. I kept trying 1 and 2 just to see. /dev/pilot was set up by udev to be my palm (whenever I tried to sync kpilot did pop up, but wouldn't do anything other than say /dev/pilot was ready) For some reason it kept being created pointing to ttyUSB3. and lo n behold I just got frustrated and tried ttyUSB0 and it worked repeatedly. Who knows if this will continue, but can anyone explain what the heck my mix-up is?

I did uninstall kpilot to keep it from competing with jpilot.

Edited by ab2ms

Guest jglen490

You noted that udev created the /dev/pilot entry. In my experience, the only way the jpilot works is if /dev/pilot is created as a soft link for the actual device (USB, serial) where the handheld's cable connects to the PC.