Partitioning Hard Drive

Guest Captain_Spaulding

Guest Captain_Spaulding

is there a site or can someone let me know how to partition my HD to install Linux. I have a 40g HD and would like to partition about 10 - 15g for Mandrake. thanks

Hello all.

I wonder whether the 8Gb for /usr is really necessary or an advantage.

In the event of your doing a reinstall, it is going to be over written or wiped and then written to by the install process.

I would suggest making the 8Gb as /General (or your choice of name) and use it for Music, Graphics (pictures, photos, etc.) and so on, then you do not have to keep reinstalling that material each time you do an OS reinstall.

John.

My / and /usr total 4.2gb and are far from full. Right now / uses less than 300mb and /usr 1.9gb. I also keep my /home fairly small and have most all my data on another partition that I share with Debian. So even if I mess up with my /home partition my data is saved. I definitely second AussieJohn's suggestion.

My / and /usr total 4.2gb and are far from full. Right now / uses less than 300mb and /usr 1.9gb. I also keep my /home fairly small and have most all my data on another partition that I share with Debian. So even if I mess up with my /home partition my data is saved. I definitely second AussieJohn's suggestion.

I third John....

Ix's suggestion is good for a experienced user but if you need to ask then you are likely just starting your linux adventure!

In this case your more likely to reinstall than upgrade and so keeping your data seperate makes a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest belbowls

(This "question" may seem lengthy but I wanted to try to give you some of the information that I assume you would ask me if I didn't put it in now.)

:unsure: I have sucessfully partitioned and installed previous builds for a dual boot with winxp/linux - unfortunately it has been about a year and I can't tell if I simply forgot what I was doing or if something is not configured right for my install. I've had to wipe all partitions and start fresh recently, so basically this is like starting from brand new drives.

I am stuck at the partitioning portion of the install. I have two hard drives in my system.

an 8GB drive, which contains WinXP, and programs directly related to maintenance (plus AV and firewall etc.)

a 120 GB drive, which is partitioned :

= 46 GB (used for windows platform programs (graphic design software, space consuming stuff.

= 18 GB (used for storage when the still shot webcam monitors the dog's activity while we are away, or recording from the TV tuner card when booted to xP).

= 27 GB used for storage / graphics client files, (yes I do back them up elsewhere).

AND finally = 18GB which I want to use for Mandrake.

I am confusing myself when it comes to setting a mount point, and partitioning the drive. When I click this partition and it displays the size and type information, I am not able to auto allocate, (tells me there is not enough space). Just how much is needed or when is the Auto Allocate option used?

and - where do I get to the menu that would let me set this partition up with the sizes Ix specified above?

If there is not enough room for auto partition, perhaps the 18G is already formatted and The installer is trying to use "unallocated" space, which is minimal. Just my guess.

Do not use auto partitioning. Use manual partitioning. This occurs fairly early in the install The choices are Use unallocated space, over write all, or manual. (I think!)

Once you get to manual, find the 18G (You get a nice graphic representation of the drives. Look for the drive with multiple partitions) and delete that partition. Then you can either auto allocate or set it up your self.