check out Waimea

Guest joehill

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the tar but configure kept telling me it couldn't find Imlib2.h, which I have in /usr/include. It also said it couldn't find something in Xrander to enable resolution resizing. so I stopped with the tarball and went with the rpm in hopes that these would be found. NOPE...the pixmap buttons and such won't show (unless I'm doing something wrong) and when I exit some games, the res is left a 800x600. Oh, configure also said it couldn't find xft.h or something, but after telling configure where the include files where that was resolved. It said I needed Xft2-devel..hehehe which doesn't exist, at least through rpmPbone and rpmfind. I don't exactly feel like screwing with fonts anymore anyway, and they are working it seems in waimea.

It said I needed Imlib2-devel and I have libimlib2_1-devel. This is why I hate trying tarballs on a rpm based machine. I could go get Imlib2-devel and get past this but why?...they're the same exact pkgs called something diff. *sigh*

Now, like you (tyme), I got waimea with a tarball but can't get the pager to make. I got waimea to compile with pixmap support and xft without having to get diff rpm's, and it seems to run better than the waimea-rpm...do you notice a diff, or did you install the rpm?

Guest joehill

god i would kill to be able to run photoshop in linux

the gimp, well, kinda just doesn't work really, christ I can't even get the pencil tool to just draw one pixel at a time...

anyway, this theme might be awhile...

HELP...this is really getting on my nerves :twisted: How do you get wampager to run at startup? I've tried

wampager

/usr/X11R6/bin/wampager

/usr/X11R6/bin/wampager &

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wampager

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/wampager &

(sleep 7; wampager) &

oh, from ~/.xinitrc

but nothig works, and I haven't seen that option in a config file (though I'm just getting started and browsed quickly).

{bvc9 11:53 PM bvc9}>which wampager

/usr/X11R6/bin/wampager

Thanks

joehill...

You can run Corel PhotoPaint 9 in Linux, if that helps, or PhotoShop should run with Win4Lin.

The Gimp is different and takes some gettin' used to, but seems everyone who "gets" it says it really is a killer once you get the hang of it. Seems to have all the tools...just don't ask me how to use 'em, I'm still tryin'...

finally settled with a setup for waimea.

check it out: http://www.tymecc.net/screenshot.png

that's naim in the upper left corner. for some reason i like using it, versus gaim (that gaim icon on my desktop is actually for naim-i need to make a naim icon).

and i'm sure you can figure out what the rest is. the theme i use is Fenrise, you can get it at waimea.org

got wampager from sourceforge (since the waimea.org link doesn't work)

tried to compile, the this error:

wampager.c: In function `main':

wampager.c:302: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcmp'

i used to know what that meant, but, i can't remember now..... :-/

The way I get pager to run at start up is to have a called with autostart.sh with this in it:

xmms &

gkrellm2 -w &

wampager &

Esetroot /home/brad/.waimea/backgrounds/valley2k.jpg

(the other stuff optional ;))

then I add

rootCommand: sh /home/brad/.waimea/styles/autostart.sh

to the bottom of my blah.style file. Seems to work well for me :) I cant help with the compile errors though, I am on Gentoo

got wampager from sourceforge (since the waimea.org link doesn't work) 

tried to compile, the this error: 

wampager.c: In function `main': 

wampager.c:302: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcmp'

Same here, and I've never known what it meant :wink: what theme did the icons come from? Very nice screenshot. Naim would look even better without borders. And the style...do you mean fensdesk?

Thanks bradcarter...you know, sometimes you beat your head against the wall, only to realize, you need to crush it in a vise. I was putting wampager after waimea. Since waimea doesn't have a "&", wampager was ignored :shock: :lol: :oops: got it now.

what theme did the icons come from? Very nice screenshot. Naim would look even better without borders. And the style...do you mean fensdesk?

icons are marble or crystal (don't remember which), www.kde-look.org.

yes, fensdesk. the style file when you unzip it is Fenrise