easy urpmi [solved]

leupi

I went to the site: http://www.mandrakeusers.org/easyurpmi/ and I have a few simple questions. Right now when I use urpmi it is my understanding that the only place that my computer looks is to the three CDs that I downloaded and used to install Linux. Would I be better off typing urpmi.removemedia -a, reinitializing urpmi's setup and then adding:

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates with media_info/hdlist.cz
urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

(which I picked up off of the easyurpmi site) would this be advantagous to me or should I just let it point to the CDs? Thanks in advance for answering another newbie question.

Todd

hi there :)

you do not need to completely remove the cd repository. you can uncheck the cds as download source in the mandrake-control-center. it is better to have them available in case you might need them to fix anything.

if you add the http/ftp-repositories of mandrake and have the cds unchecked, it will automatically download the stuff you need from the web. and although i usually only download the files from the web, i still keep the cd-repository as a last s.o.s-option.

I went into MCC 'Media Manager' and removed the CDs from there. I saw a 'update_source' medium so I kept that and then I added the line:

urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/10.1/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz

I also see 'contrib', 'plf', and 'jpackage' on the easyurpmi site. Should I add them or will that cause problems? Thanks.

Todd