Mandrake 9.1 Beta 1 ISO OUT!

DragonMage

This I got from http://www.distrowatch.com

Mandrake Linux has produced the first beta release of the upcoming Mandrake Linux 9.1. From MandrakeClub: "The first Beta of Mandrake Linux 9.1 will be downsized to only one CD."

So far only one cd, I guess this is the first try of mandrake clubbers having more voice in the distro. I wonder how well it will work though, since different people have different priorities.

Anyway, you can find the iso and the checksum here.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri...drake-iso/i586/

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/Linux/distribut...drake-iso/i586/

Oh boy.. I cannot wait :!:

Wow 9.0 hasn't been out that long has it?

its a point release which means its composed mainly of fixes for the previous release. MDK9.0 isnt exactly 'sterling' for many people although it seems to be for the other side. maybe this can convince those who gnashed their teeth trying to install/upgrade to mdk9. :smile:

ciao!

Guest NSL1212

According to distrowatch.com, the beta use kernel 2.4.21pre2. What don't they use the stable kernel 2.4.20 instead? Do you think that kernel 2.4.21 will become stable by the time Mandrake 9.1 release?

Well.. it could if mandrake is using the slower release plan. It seems that under Marcello (the administrator for kernel 2.4) likes to take thing slowly, I think the difference between 8.2 and 9.0 is only 1 or 2 kernel version. Besides, mandrake kernels are patched to the bones, adding supermount, other journalling filesystems support, alsa support, etc etc etc.

They pulled the 20.2 version they had posted because they blew supermount again, among other things. As far as 1 cd, I suspect this is the beginning of a trend. Release one and make people buy the complete version. If that happens, I'll give all of my Mandrake space to Redhat 8.1.

Counterspy

Nah.. that's not it... that cd is basically everything that mandrake 9.1 will 99.999% sure of releasing (which includes kde, gnome, xfree, etc, etc). The rest of the stuff are voted by the mandrake clubbers which will make up cd 2 and 3.

Guest BlackSnow

Not very good when your a 56ker :(

Damn you GNU/Linux distro makers - release a *.0 version and make sure its right, instead of all this pissing about stuff *.1, *.2, *.3.

I'll be sticking to 9.0 :)