USB optical mouse intermittantly freezes

Guest tomfrh

Hello,

I recently installed Mandrake 10.1. I am using a Microsoft USB Optical wheel mouse. Unfortunately the mouse freezes up after a random amount of time. The keyboard still functions. It appears to happen during heavy ethernet activity, e.g. when I start downloading something

The mouse works fine under Windows.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

:thanks:

Unplug it and plug it back in. It should come back. I do not know why it happens, but it occassionally happens to me in both linux and windows. I have the same mouse.

what is the mouse config in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and have you tried diff sensitivity settings in the kde control center?

The mouse config is:

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

I have tried fiddling with the mouse settings in KDE but it didn't do anything.

I enabled ACPI in the Mandrake boot settings about 6 hrs ago. SInce doing this I haven't had any more mouse freezes. Prior to this the mouse would always freeze within 30 minutes or so. To be honest, I know virtually nothing about ACPI. I was stabbing in the dark. I suspected a hardware conflict, and read that ACPI is some sort of device management system, so I tried it.

I am not very satisfied though, as I don't understand what was/is going on, and I don't know for sure if it is fixed.