Firefox and Gnome [solved]

leupi

How can I configure Firefox to be the default browser in Gnome? The Windows version has a 'make as default browser' option but no such thing exists in the Linux version. I am using Mandrake 10.1 and went to 'Configuration' > 'Gnome' > 'Advanced' > 'Prefered Applications'. I have two choices under 'Default web browser' and they are 'Select a web browser' and 'Custom web browser'. Under 'Select a web browser' Firefox is not listed. Under 'Custom web browser' it says 'mozilla %s' I took a chance and changed that to 'firefox %s' but of course it was not that easy.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? And why would there not be a 'make as default browser' option as there is in the Windows version? I'm sure that there is a good reason, I'm just missing it...

Edited by leupi

And why would there not be a 'make as default browser' option as there is in the Windows version? I'm sure that there is a good reason, I'm just missing it...

Because Linux is not Windows and doesn't do things the same way?

Maybe it is just me but it seems to be awful difficult just trying to set a default browser...

If that's the way you feel, then maybe Linux is not for you. Maybe you chose Linux for the wrong reason? When you're ready maybe we'll try a few more things.

Umm to make firefox the dault browser open up firefox, go to Prefrences and there should be somthing there about checking if firefox is the default browser.... you can check the box so that every time you start up firefox it asks you if you want it to be the default web browser .

-Luis

Asking why things are done as they are in Linux should not be taken as criticizing Linux. I am used to the Windows way of doing things (unfortunatly) and the 'Linux' way is different and if I do not understand the reason why something may seem more complicated then what I am used to I see no reason why I should not ask. I am sure that there is a reason that there is not a 'make as default browser' check box as there is in Windows and I am curious as to what this reason might be.

I don't think that asking question about why an OS does things a certain way means that I am not 'ready' for Linux, hell, asking those questions is a major reason that I am turning to Linux and leaving Windows.

This is certainly not an attempt to start a a flame and i appreciate all of the help that you guys have given me with all of my questions (past and future) :)

Todd

I get a little defensive when I'm trying to help someone and they get the 'this is too hard for a simple task' attitude. Makes me think (a) my help is not appreciated, and (B) they're not really open to the possibility that some things may be harder and some easier.

Sorry.

Let us know if we can help more.

The reason for a lack of simple checkbox is that linux has many different window managers (WM) and desktop environments (DE) in common useage (windows generally has only one). Each of these has a different way of doing things, is designed by people with very different goals in mind etc. Some window managers have no idea what the concept of a "default browser" is. To allow such a checkbox (that actaully works in all cases) would mean either all the WM's and DE's have to have a common config file which can accept the variable of default browser, or that firefox would have to know where to place its default browser tag into all the WM's and DE's configs.

This problem is confused further by different linux distros putting the same config files and binaries in different places with different names.

Hopefully thats helped clear things up a little? Or at least not confused things even more!

Did you actually manage to solve the problem?

Thanks for the reply, that does make sense. And YES! I now have Firefox as my default browser! I like it when a plan comes together. Now all I need to do is figure out what is wrong with my PCMCIA slots on the laptop, how to get my Intel Centrino wireless working...

I think that I am going to be busy for a bit :) thanks for all the help.

Todd