10.1 + PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 newbie help pls

dnoyc

just installed mandrake 10.1 and everything works fine except for my wireless card (and my modem but who cares about that)

anyway i don't understand why its not working. both my ethernet card and wireless card show up under the control center.

my wireless card shows up as: PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter, but i can't figure out how to actually use the wireless card.

any help is appreciated.

edit: this is especially frustrating since mandrake advertises wireless working out of the box in 10.1 with this being one of the supported cards. besides its just the standard centrino card making it a common enough card that it should work much like my ethernet card.

Edited by dnoyc

I am having the same issue with my PRO/Wireless card and I ended up here at http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/. I haven't had the time to roll up my sleeves and really get into it though. I am pretty new to Linux and it all seems pretty complicated at the moment...

Gotta take the plunge soon though, hate not having wireless :(

I don't know how 10.1 is supposed to configure this card - 9.2 works fine for me :). In 9.2, I got wireless working using Linuxant driverloader and windows driver. You may want to try this. The installation is pretty straigtforward, and does not require special skills. And their support is good, by the way. Ndiswrapper did not work for me out box, so I didn't worry about this too much since I bought a driverloader license by that time.

In any case, my suggestion would be to forget using MDK control center, and configure all stuff by hand. After all, the MDK control center is simply a GUI to a bunch of buggy scripts.

i made a little progress on this. it turns out 10.1 had the driver built in, but it was an older one. all i needed to do was load the 1.2 firmware from ipw2100.sourceforge.net. however this older drivers did not support WEP, so i had to upgrade it to the newer one, which i did with the dkms package, but now i can't get the module to load.

there is another thread where i am getting help with this part, hopefully someone will make some sense of what's going on with it.