Gentoo review

btw, just so were all clear on Fedora Core [3] use of CFLAGS

-mtune=pentium4 <--- just one used, but that will turn your head if you think it's complied "just" for i386 ;-)

Like Gowator said, if you complie your own packages, your are allowed to drop in options too :P

For instance I'm updating the latest garnome on my laptop, am i using "i386" nope......

My point in my first post was, Linux is Linux..... Distro <insert here> is for noobies/novice/guru/supa freak can be done.

My point with Fedora, is I would not recommend it to the noobie unless they do want to be on cutting edge and learn something. I did a gentoo install this weekend, mostly x86 with some ~x86 (tool chain) and the packages weren't as updated.version.number as on my Fedora box, so take that with a grain of salt. :lol:

The whole distro bashing really gets old, and the reason I will be the first to step in and say you smoke crack when you start hammering on RH/Fedora, is because if you don't have a clue what they have done/helped/tools your currently using on <insert distro here>, all the work and code they have put back into Linux, marketing, makeing Linux a real player in the server world, knocking down the doors from Solaris/HP-UX and windows then you really need to look into Linux history, look into "WHO" is maintaing that package your are using on <distro>. Look into the vision of RH, put down your sword and see who is holding up your shield :cheeky: Then stop knocking RH and get off the crack pipe, if you hate RH, then you have a lot of packages to start removing from your <distro> and trust me, it wont work anymore........

After all that, have a few of these on me :beer::beer::beer:

:thanks:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review, seems it touched a few people smile.gif

No problem. I think that if this was a Lunar or other less popular distro's review it would have attracted less reacties. But since Gentoo is a controversial distro it generated interest. :D

Gowator

The only objective benchmark I've done is Firefox, thx to daniewicz' link and it turned out to be a lot faster in Gentoo. Other than that, only subjective things.

I would do other benchmarks but I need software for this. There are a lot of bm programs out there but I need a good one with lots of tests, a complete suite or something similar.

cybr

Fedora and it's ancestor, RH Linux, have been around for quite a long time and because they were among the first distros together with Debian and Slackware (if I remember well) they gained popularity so it's only normal for them to be used in projects like SELinux, etc.

Gentoo hasn't had so much time to gain as much popularity as them but still it's growing fast. It's no. 8 at distrowatch. Gaining top 10 in such a short time, 2-3 years, is something.

Oh, one more thing, can we stop acting like kidz, throwing flames at one another ?

Gentoo doesn't make your system run any faster, it takes ages to install and update, and can stress your machine more than a binary distro

I think it runs faster. As Soulse and I have said, you can update it while you are sleeping or doing something else.

Yeah, and just so were clear. I was using gentoo when it was a baby and was in 1.1 era so........

Since your fairly new to Gentoo, I'll forget it, and let you hold on to your dreams that it is faster. :P I did the same thing so it's all good!!!!

Then I realized I wasn't able to count nano seconds and forgot about that whole arugment.

Fedora/rh wasn't used in projets like SELinux and half of your toolchain because they have been around for a long time, they are a part of them, because they work on them. There is a difference. Several Gentoo developers work on several projects too, i'm not saying they don't/haven't.

Anyway, i'm going back to have a conversation with the :wall:

If you way any more bad things, i'm telling my mommy. :jester:

I have never thought of Gentoo as faster. I did notice a slight speed increase over Mandrake 9.2 (which is what I was using when I installed Gentoo for the first time) but it wasn't much faster.

The real reasons I liked it was that I installed only the things I want/needed - this can be done with other distros but IMHO, not as easily or effectively. I like utilising USE flags, I like working with emerge... but speed never entered my mind.

I'll be done downloading FC3 by day after tomorrow (I know I know, but broadband in Africa isn't great) and then I'll load it on my work machine - because there I do not have the luxury of the time it takes to install Gentoo.

I think the biggest thing I have gained from Gentoo is the amount of stuff I've learnt - before using Gentoo I had never really bothered with compiling my own kernels, learning more about compilers and just the general stuff that makes Linux tick. I could have learnt that stuff with any distro, but Gentoo really is great on the learning curve.

Anyway, enough now :P

gentoo for me starts in 1/3 of the time a mandrake system, god knows how much quicker than fedora with that stupid graphical boot. Openoffice starts in half the time. Elsewhere there isn't much of a difference if any, but in those places its really nice.

Where did you get all that "you hate/hammer RH and Fedora" thing ? RH is the most succesful Linux company AFAIK and I admire that.

I won't say anything about FC3 since I haven't tested it. The only Fedora I've tested is FC2 which had some annoying bugs at that time. I was a total n00b back then so that's why I stopped using it.

-mtune=pentium4 <--- just one used, but that will turn your head if you think it's complied "just" for i386 ;-)

Actually that is compiled just for i686. :P

My point in my first post was, Linux is Linux..... Distro <insert here> is for noobies/novice/guru/supa freak can be done.

I don't thing anybody argued about that.

If you way any more bad things, i'm telling my mommy. jester.gif

OK man, chill. Since you put it that way I'll stop all the distro fights. :lol:

Actually that is compiled just for i686. :P

Just one used, means I only posted one of the values :D

Anyway, this is getting old, you were a noob to FC2 and now your a compiling whizz and optimization guru now that you have been using gentoo for what, less than a month? Thread was started 4 days ago, but whatever. :screwy:

Try this one:

emerge new-topic

on other news fronts, my first sda drive on my gentoo box at home blew up ( no, not gentoo's fault, it was a IBM 36GB 10k and we all know they make crap) :D replaced it and installed FC3 for more selinux/honeypot test. I dont have the time for building it backup again.

Gentoo is a great distro, have fun with it! :D

Anyway, this is getting old, you were a noob to FC2 and now your a compiling whizz and optimization guru now that you have been using gentoo for what, less than a month? Thread was started 4 days ago, but whatever. screwy.gif

LOL !!!! :lol2:

My Linux experience for 2003

That year I had my first Linux experience. I installed Mandrake 9.2 but because of the ACPI bug and poor community support (on IRC; no, not MUSB related) I was forced to uninstall it after a few days of testing.

My Linux experience for 2004.

I installed FC2 and tested it in June or Jully but because I was a n00b back then and Fedora had annoying bugs I uninstalled it. After that, in August or so I installed Mandrake 10. From August to December I learned the basics of Linux.

My Linux experience for 2005

On the 2nd of January I installed Gentoo just to test it. I used it for 2 weeks in order to be able to write something about it, before posting this review.. I liked it and decided to keep it and make it my main OS.

What is it so hard to understand ?

Gentoo is a great distro, have fun with it! biggrin.gif

Thx. :D

Edited by a13x

You can use if-so (install from - sources ) utility from

http://www.geocities.com/asprayama/if-so/if-so.html

That looks pretty nifty! We're getting very OT here though.

Lets keep it to discussions of Gentoo. If you'd like to further our discussion of Fedora (which I am enjoying btw) then start a seperate thread for it.

a13x's original intention with this thread was to provide us with a review of Gentoo and discuss it.

Lets keep it to discussions of Gentoo. If you'd like to further our discussion of Fedora (which I am enjoying btw) then start a seperate thread for it.

a13x's original intention with this thread was to provide us with a review of Gentoo and discuss it.

thx SoulSe: /me looks around for mod hat....

Yep that would be great... I think iof we have one thread per disto on experiences etc. then it makes it less confusing for people who are trying to pick a new one or see what might be different from Mdk etc.

So keeping FC stuff in a FC thread is preferable...

thx guys